"Cenote Tanganyika": 300G build for our 26-inch Mbu puffer...

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
Hey Kevin. I had a 125 with an open top and canister filters and I had a 125 with glass lids and a sump. The 125 with the lids and the "open" sump, had far more evaporation that the 125 with no lids (probably about twice as much). I think the reason is because the sump loses a lot of water through evaporation because of the constant moving water. This is just my experience. HTH.

kevinfleming21

Jurassic Aquatics
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2010
Chandler, AZ
Hey Kevin. I had a 125 with an open top and canister filters and I had a 125 with glass lids and a sump. The 125 with the lids and the "open" sump, had far more evaporation that the 125 with no lids (probably about twice as much). I think the reason is because the sump loses a lot of water through evaporation because of the constant moving water. This is just my experience. HTH.
That's very true, never thought about it that way. Thanks, was just curious.

Jenerik

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2012
USA
Kevin, yes, I do lose a lot of water to evaporation but could not tell you specifically how much because the auto top-off system is always equalizing it. I hear the solenoid go off maybe once an hour for the sump.

kevinfleming21

Jurassic Aquatics
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2010
Chandler, AZ
Yeah, I figured you had an auto drip. Thanks for the reply. One day when I move out of my rental I will do some upgrades myself.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jenerik

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2012
USA
How is that monster doing man?
Doing great, thanks. Sorry, I have just been busy and not updated the thread in a while. Sea Monster fine, as usual.

I am actually planning some overhauls to the tank very soon. Getting rid of the wet/dry and going back to 100% canisters shortly. The wet/dry is more of a PITA to maintain than the cans are and I feel like the mechanical filtration is inferior. The tank needs more carbon and more mechanical filtration than biological filtration at this point. Ordered a big Rena XP-XL to augment the existing cans as well as a 55lb. bag of carbon pellets (I go through a lot of those...) , so we shall see how that goes. Also got rid of all the Pothos and am back to strictly peace lillies. The Pothos suffered an infestion of mealybugs and got in bad shape, so I just ripped it all out.

Also, I am considered ditching the MH's and replacing them with PAR-style LED bulbs. I a not caring for the amount of light spillover the MH's give to the rest of the living room and have been experimenting with very focused, spot-style LED's. Hoping to get a "sun beams through the trees" effect rather than the "flood of daylight" that is going on now.

Anyway, fish are doing fine but tank is a bit neglected. Will update with photos once I make some of these changes. Thanks again.

Psylant

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Canada
Pleeeease update. This is my favorite thread on here by far.

Also wondering what fish you've had some success mixing your Mbu with. Mine will have some clown loaches but not sure beyond that!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store