Chalak barb/Sahyadria chalakkudiensis

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Has anyone bought this species, such as sold as a roseline shark? As of late I'm starting to suspect that some of the roseline sharks at my local aquarium store belong to this species, and that got me wondering whether anyone has them, especially if sold as roseline sharks.

1647050813534.png

They're said to be bigger, less colorful, and more aggressive compared to roseline sharks, which are all detrimental qualities to the future tank I want roseline sharks in. Fingers crossed I get roseline sharks and not chalak barbs!

Reactions: Midwater

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Thanks for the comment and link. Going by that it does look like what's available for me are actually roselines, just not very colorful in such a way that made them resemble the chalak barb a bit to my eyes (which I imagine feeding color foods would fix).
I had a picture of them, if I can find it I'll put it here.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
They are very much alike, I've seen both at my LFS in the past. For me the Roseline trump's the Chalak simply because the colours pop more on the Roseline, something you don't always see at the LFS simply because colours can be washed out in their tanks.

But once comfortable the differences are obvious. The Roseline, as mentioned is better coloured, but the big giveaway is the black spot on the dorsal fin. The Roseline doesn't have the black spot, the Chalak does, see pics below. Size wise, if anything, the Roseline grows bigger, up to 6", where the Chalak maxes at about 5".

Roseline top, Chalak bottom.

TORPEDO-BARB-ATTRACTIVE-FISH-Puntius.jpg

Sahyadria-chalakkudiensis_Chalakkudy1_NKhardina-1.jpg

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Thanks esox. On ways to tell them apart, going by your images, I see more than just the black spot.
It looks to me like the roseline has a much more solid black stripe than the chalak, and the yellow parts on the tail of the roseline are much bigger relative to the black parts than those of the chalak.
The ones at my local store match those criteria pretty good, so I'm confident I am just seeing washed out roselines instead of chalaks

Reactions: esoxlucius

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Bumping this thread to note one more difference I've seen. The red stripe of the roseline shark goes past the eye and onto the head and snout, while that of the chalak barb stops at the eye.
Hopefully this helps others with ID.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store