Chancho crazy color change on one side only - after being sick

NW Cichlid Keith

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2016
Atlanta, Georgia
My male Chancho (approx 12 inches TL) got sick a few weeks back. He got bloated and started hiding. He has always been a non-aggressive fish - the exact opposite you read about Chanchos. I have a nearly 9" Chancho that is a complete jerk. Anyway, he is in a 300 w/ all male Amphs and a few other non cichlid fish. The only two fish that could even remotely challenge him are a 13" barred midas and a 12.5" creamsicle midas. Both of these fish let him know they are higher in the food chain, but none ever do any damage or continue the chase after they make their point and he gets out of their way.

He would not eat or come out, and his color changed. I did back to back major water changes and added a bunch of aquarium salt. After a week, his bloating went down and he started to come out. I then starting soaking his food in epsom salt. He seems to be back to normal - except his coloring. One side is fine. The other now had two major black bars - even into the dorsal fin. The dorsal is where it starts and is perfect on one side and abnormal on the other.

I think he actually looks pretty cool now, but am curious as to what might have caused this - and if folks recommend doing anything else. I would hate to lose this gentle giant. I am wanting him to keep on growing.

Chancho 1, 4-22-2019.JPG
Chancho 2, 4-22-2019.JPGChancho 3, 4-22-2019.JPGChancho 4, 4-22-2019.JPG

Andy woods cichlids uk

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2015
I've had this with my 13 male Festae. Sorry no pics to prove.
I believe it's stress related. My male Festae went like that when I added a glass divider, between him and female. He was constantly banging against the glass then turned black all down one side. In time he gradually returned back to his proper colour. May be a couple of months or so.
Well that's my opinion, from my experiences.

NW Cichlid Keith

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2016
Atlanta, Georgia
Thanks Andy - glad I have the pics and yours worked out long term. I'll have to see what I can do about the stress. I had an Amarillo that aggravated everyone and killed two - it is a pretty peaceful tank now that I have found a new home for him and removed all females from the tank. Hopefully the stress is just temporary.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store