Change to trophy points in 2019

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I never pay any attention to the contests, points, awards, trophies, likes, hates, indifferents, blah, blah, blah...although I do like checking out the photos submitted and sometimes I even vote! :)

But...lately it seems as though you guys need to add a new trophy/award to the list. There looks to be a heated competition amongst new members to see who can dig up the oldest deadest posts and bring them back to life with pithy comments; they pop right up to the top of the New Posts list, and since some of those necrotic threads bear titles that might be of interest, we click on them and...are disappointed...

That kind of dedication deserves recognition!

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I never pay any attention to the contests, points, awards, trophies, likes, hates, indifferents, blah, blah, blah...although I do like checking out the photos submitted and sometimes I even vote! :)

But...lately it seems as though you guys need to add a new trophy/award to the list. There looks to be a heated competition amongst new members to see who can dig up the oldest deadest posts and bring them back to life with pithy comments; they pop right up to the top of the New Posts list, and since some of those necrotic threads bear titles that might be of interest, we click on them and...are disappointed...

That kind of dedication deserves recognition!
I pointed this out ages ago and that something needed to be done about it. But the powers that be decided old threads have their value too.

Yes they do, if resurrected for the right reasons, but a lot of the recent examples have come to the top of the new posts lists almost accidentally as a newby tags a nothing comment on the end of one.

All threads over a certain age should carry an alert of some kind when you try to post on them. As soon as the "post reply" icon is touched a pop up appears with something along the lines of, "this thread is 261 years old, are you sure you want to continue?"

Unfortunately the "powers that be" which I speak of, well, we don't seem to have any powers that be anymore! so that idea ain't gonna get implemented anytime soon!

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Exactly! Old threads have value when a search is done and one of them has the exact info or data that is being sought. But when somebody resurrects one just to say "Cool!" or inject some bit of wisdom...often incorrect!...then not so much. I didn't realize the problem was an old one; I've only started to notice it to an irritating extreme very recently.

I am sure that my modus operandi on MFK is a pretty common one: I just go to the New Posts section and look for something interesting. I guess I need to be more vigilant about checking the best-before dates before clicking...

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Still waiting on my award for poty...

Advika

Feeder Fish
Oct 22, 2023
In 2019, the shift to using trophy points was a fantastic decision. It added an exciting new dimension to our system, encouraging engagement and recognition within our community. These points not only recognize individuals for their contributions but also foster a sense of friendly competition. It's been a great way to encourage active participation and reward valuable contributions. Kudos to the team for implementing this change.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store