Channa Gachua Breeding

deenblitzed

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2015
Two weeks ago there was a shipment of Gachuas that arrived in Malaysia from India. The dealer said they were Channa Gachua Purple (is there such a thing?). Intrigued I decided to get 5 of them since they were on the small side.

After 2 days in the tank I noticed that 2 of them were acting kind of aggressive towards the rest so I decided to monitor them closely before I take further action (i.e. removing the other 3 to a different tank.

While I was monitoring them I was in for a treat....

Reactions: tlindsey

deenblitzed

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2015
After seeing this ritual dance I keep peeking around the tank to see whether there were any eggs but didn't find any.

One week went by still nothing.

When I came back from my outstation trip for work, I thought that I should go and feed them. That is when I saw this...

Another surprise...

Feeding the babies:

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
After seeing this ritual dance I keep peeking around the tank to see whether there were any eggs but didn't find any.

One week went by still nothing.

When I came back from my outstation trip for work, I thought that I should go and feed them. That is when I saw this...

Another surprise...

Feeding the babies:

Congrats! That's awesome:D

deenblitzed

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2015
Thank you Lindsey & hrdtimes. Just caught the channa mania bug in January, still got lots to learn.

Seems like the parents are in no mercy mode now....

First casualty, pretty brutal...

image.jpeg

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
Question. The parents won't eat their fries right?
No , they won't unless you leave the fry in the tank until they mature and start to fight each other, at that point the parents will start to drive out the larger ones to protect the smaller ones.

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
Btw congrats on the breeding!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store