Channa pleurophthalma species tank

steenmillinder

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2012
denmark
Hi :D

I'm really falling for this species and I'm considering making a species tank for them, I thought of keeping about 5-10 and keep them from breeding by not giving them a place secluded enough to do so. My 2 have become way more aggressive towards each other so can I expect a group to stay stable during mating season(spring I guess)? (i have a 180gal and intend to upgrade to 300'ish 7foot before possibly buying any more pleuroes)

Thx&cheers

Chrigu

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2016
Switzerland
Hello
I personally think that 10 of those are too many. I would recommend to keep just one pair, channas are definitely no "schooling-fish". Even in a 300 gallon tank i wouldn't keep more than two, it would just gave you lots of problems with fighting. Channa pleurophthalma are known to be quite calm, but it wouldn't be natural to keep them as a group. The best way to keep those is in a about 170 gallon big tank, without other fish and just as a pair. In a tank like this you can study their natural behavior. I hope you understand my bad English and i didn't disappointed you, that's just how it is.

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
Channa pleurophthalma are actually pack hunters, and if my memory serves me well, live in shoals their entire lives. Only exception being for breeding, where bonded pairs leave the shoal, hide under banks in high plants, breed and go back to the shoal or something similar.

So I have to disagree with keeping them as a pair. They have much different habits than sub-tropicals, and shouldn't be treated as such.

What i'm afraid of, though, is the plans you make. I don't think 10 50cm (20") would fare well in 300 gallons. Devon might have more infos on the subject, which he usually does, but in this case he does keep a pack in order to see their behavior over time, and i'm assuming his are close to maturity. D -DC-

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store