Charge to build a Plywood tank.......

TexasMFK31

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
I'm just curious if anyhow has, or thought about building a plywood tank for someone in a business transaction. Like a woodworking project. I had someone come to me from a fish group stating I would be the guy to build a plywood tank for someone, which is awesome and a compliment. I'm just curious on peoples thoughts/advice on doing this. My thought was material cost x2 for total build. Which half up front lets you buy everything and build the tank. Then once it's complete and they take it, the 2nd half of material covers your time and your money made. Any other thoughts on this?

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Agreed. It’s one thing to build one for yourself because it’s only your stuff you risk damaging. However, if you are building one for someone else and it fails and damages their house and belongings, then you can bet they will be suing you. In addition, before you sell something like that, you really should have at least built and tested several of them and worked out a design so that you have documentation supporting your build design in the event that you are sued, especially if an injury is involved. Lastly, you should be covered from an insurance standpoint so that if something bad ever happened and one of your tanks damaged someone else’s property or caused injury, your insurance would be responsible for paying out the damages.

As you can see, all of this stuff costs quite a bit of money and is a big reason why professionally made tanks cost so much.

Now, if he buys the materials and you build the tank for him for free out of the kindness of your own heart, then you are not liable unless they can prove you intentionally did something to cause property damage or injury. Same is true if he buys the materials and builds it with your help and guidance, as long as you take no money.

My recommendation, if you want to help him out, then do it on a free basis. It will still help you because you will gain more experience in building plywood tanks. However, do not accept any form of payment. A grey area would be if he offered a case of beer or to buy you dinner for helping him out. Technically, it should count as a form of payment, but it would be really hard to get that pushed through court in the event of a lawsuit.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
A few things, no receipt in the transaction means the item you sold is as good as a used item. If you build on your property for you personal use and then sell it, very tough to have liability for used items. Simple waiver form in case of failure can go a long way. Stating it was built to the standards designed by... can help further issues. Stating there is no warranty and having proof that it was achknowledged helps. Honestly, insurance to cover aquarium mfg isn’t that high. Might be worth looking into if you are serious. Simple calculation for charging is 100% profit on material (almost always), 50% of material for labor (flexible), +x% of monthly insurance (based off how many tanks you do a month). Example, $300 insurance/month, you make 10 tanks per month. Tank cost $500 to make. $1000(material)+$500 time+$30 insurance coverage. That’s what my pricing is based off of roughly.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
For Canada, it’s very tough to be liable for an item you sold “used”. Not sure about elsewhere.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store