*CHEAP/BULLET PROOF CINDER BLOCK STAND*

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
DIY stand ideas are always awesome. I find stands to be more expensive than tanks sometimes (which is ridiculous) so it's nice to have a cheap alternative.
+1 focal point imo are the tank and inhabitants

So true. You can build 10x the stand for 10% of the price of a store bought.

Great job on the block stand! I almost did the same, but opted for wood only because leveling the tank would have been very difficult in my location.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Yea I utilize DIY whenever I can in the hobby.

I'm sure you have one of those large racing banner you can easily throw in front of that stand hahah
Trust m I have a closet full of sponsor banners, its ridiculous....

Bullet-proof, maybe, earthquake-proof? hmm...

The lack of lateral bracing always worries me with cinder block stands, especially at that height. I'm interested to hear why you put one long piece of timber down the middle rather than supporting the edges of the tank?
The edges are supported on each end and the middle. The
Timber down the middle is so it doesn't sway side to side, just firms it up a tad. But the tank is def resting on the timber.

And being behind the couch and having a partition wall into the kitchen it has zero foot traffic so no worries there and in good old Indiana I'm not stressing about earth quakes ;)

×Go S Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 3x WDC!!! about to make it 4 in a row!×

Cheap way to decrease nitrates and keep your fish healthy: http://monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504763

popss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2013
washinton
spooky.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Great post. Countless members have utilized this same approach, sorry I didn't spend 300$+ on a generic wood stand from lfs, instead I used ingenuity and the money I saved I invested in better filtration. Sorry if this is spooky. Do you see the stand?

Exactly, cheers!

Cheap way to decrease nitrates and keep your fish healthy: http://monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504763

wasilvers1074

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
United States
I really didnt know that you do not have to support the entire bottom of the tank. If so, I would not have fretted when making my own stand. Learn something new every day.

WarrendaFish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2009
Massachusetts, U.S.A.
Great post. Countless members have utilized this same approach, sorry I didn't spend 300$+ on a generic wood stand from lfs, instead I used ingenuity and the money I saved I invested in better filtration. Sorry if this is spooky. Do you see the stand?

Exactly, cheers!

Ingenuity? Bullet proof? Now you're stretching it a little. A cinder block would crumble. I too have a cinder block stand supporting a 120 tall but its only one cinder block tall... If one of your drunk or clumsy friends takes a digger into or even near that thing your gonna see what 125 gal looks like spread out on your floor.. You get what you pay for. $19 for 9 cinder blocks and a couple pieces of lumber...

Good job... I guess. but there is no ingenuity in stacking cinder blocks on top of each other.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Umm I use cinder blocks for target practice, even a lil .22 can tear through one with a few shots, anything above that takes one shot to shatter it. I wouldn't do it unless it was a small tank.

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Adamrhh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2010
Ohio
www.theratpub.com
Umm I use cinder blocks for target practice, even a lil .22 can tear through one with a few shots, anything above that takes one shot to shatter it. I wouldn't do it unless it was a small tank.

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
The same can be said about shooting a 2x4 lol it won't crumble but it'll break in half.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
What's the story with the tire hanging precariously on the wall?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store