Cheap lighting options

jdpeters87

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2014
washington
I use the cheap LED "Aquaneat" fixtures off ebay on most my tanks. 4' 1w versions run about $38 and the 6' ones run about $70. I have six of those fixtures currently running on tanks and have been very happy with them. Have been using them for about 3 years now and for the most part have had no issues with them.
This is way late but would they penetrate 28 inch tank?

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
This is way late but would they penetrate 28 inch tank?
If your looking for cheap versatile led light with a nice spectrum checkout dsuny, marsaqua and blackbox. I got 3 dsuny daisychaned together on a 200x50x60cm tank tank and im more then happy with them

Tarsun

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2018
look on ebay for COB light strips. They are super cheap and super bright. I have 2 on my 90 gal and a small power supply. I took out the florescent bulb and tomb stones and mounted these directly to the reflective metal backing thats in the housing.
i added a small fan just for the sake of completion and it is bright enough for me. i could have added more and used a bigger power supply but i didnt want it too bright.

All and all, less than $20

https://www.ebay.com/itm/COB-LED-Li...637187&hash=item546155b5a6:g:BakAAOSwJkNbbAel

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
I might give something like that a try eventually to replace the rolls of led strips. I can't tell if they're dimming because of the poor cooling, or I'm just getting used to them.

But those on some aluminum channel with a fan blowing through it should stay reasonably cool.

Most of those COBs have a pretty low CRI, though. I wonder if mixing cool white, warm white and some red and blue would improve that?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store