Cheap plants, less nitrate! POTHOS

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Well, I just learned something useful on this site...there's a first! KAKAAAAW! ON IT.

Lol, I feel you on that!

Wonder if JK can post a pic of his pothos, I know he has a older thread about it, but it would be cool if EVERYONE added their pothos pics here!

Go S. Vettel #1 rb8

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Nah its harmless to fish, but deadly to cats and dogs. Not sure if its the roots or leaves. A lot of people have them in tanks. Cheapest filter, no electricity or maintenance, and last forever!

I just added a simple 5watt bulb and the growth it taking off!

Go S. Vettel #1 rb8

tomomothy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
Does the pothos get any direct sunlight from that window or is it just ambient light and that 5 watt bulb?

Sent from the mars rover

Tiller11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2012
Kansas, United States
clockwork: Yea I've seen em, basically never change water, just add some for mineral replacement!

Tiller almost any plant works, however pothos is very good at consuming nitrate and its very cheap, yes you can snip a segment off and it will also grow , you can also plant them in ur substrate and they will grow above water, a couple vines are hanging off the sides of my tank, I'm going to pin it to the ceiling when it gets bigger. Give it a month, it will be a monster.

Go S. Vettel #1 rb8
I wasnt thinkin of planting them cause i think ited be cool to get a big root system floatin in the water but like if i jus tossed it in there and let it grow ontop? And the roots would obviously grow downward... I assume

Sent from my SPH-D710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Does the pothos get any direct sunlight from that window or is it just ambient light and that 5 watt bulb?

Sent from the mars rover
It grew fine with just ambient light in the house, the blinds block the light and the glass from the window will also filter some of the rays, direct sunlight meaning outside and bright lite. The bulb is just a small experiment to see if I get faster growth.

That's the cool thing about pothos, you can put it in ur tank however you want, golden ivy will adapt to almost anything!

I have been using pothos fit some time, works like a champ
View attachment 834368

Sent from my SCH-I500 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Wow nice setup Mike! Your pothos setup are almost identical to mine, do you use an hob or pump for them?

Haven't changed water in awhile, nitrates staying steady at 5-10ppm, before they would always hit 40+ in 6 days. Obviously its 35 gallons more water, so about 1/4 more water, n03 should be at 30ppm, man those pothos make a difference!

Go S. Vettel #1 rb8

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
I have not seen that large of a change yet with mine. I am hopeful I will. My plants have been in my tank for about 4 weeks now. Maybe a little more time and they will be going like crazy.

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

projectile

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2007
ind
This is the same as whats commonly reffered to as money plant rt ?
In which case its toxic to animals. What about the roots ??
I am planning on adding some to my goldfish tank , since during rains this year, nitrates in supply water has gone up.

Would the roots be toxic , if say goldfish were to nibble on it ?

Sent from my GT-I9003 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

00rollins

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2011
Strong Island ,NY
I'm using them also, made baskets outta eggcrate that fit behind my 3d bg plants sit in them, no gravel I staggered the eggcrate in the basket. No drip growing good very low light been 1 month.

Added drip line into my sump for additional pothos that will sit above the water line, baskets in production. Picked up a small light at the *** auction, will mout it underneath
Sent from my HTC VLE_U using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store