Cheap plants, less nitrate! POTHOS

clearwater

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2018
Sorry if I missed this, but what was your range prior to the plants? Just trying to assess if the difference is worth it.

I had thought to do this at one point but results from others were inconclusive at best.
The range was between 40-80 since API test kit doesn't show any difference in color 40 and 80. I've done a thorough research before decided to spend my money on those plants. 200 lucky bamboo stalks cost me about $60. Peace lily and pothos cost about $15. So the whole set up cost me about $80. I found that they do not make a big difference but I still think it's worth it. Plus I feed my fish a lot more now but the Nitrates are always under control. It's always nice to have some green plants in the house anyway.

I added in 5 taro plants last week and they grow very strong and fast. IMO, taro plants are the cheapest and best option. I bought them from an Asian supermarket. 5 of those for only $1. They will soon outgrow the pothos. For some reasons, my pothos grow very slow. So if you are considering added plants to your tank(s), get those taro plants. They also have very strong root system.

Reactions: DN328

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
The range was between 40-80 since API test kit doesn't show any difference in color 40 and 80. I've done a thorough research before decided to spend my money on those plants. 200 lucky bamboo stalks cost me about $60. Peace lily and pothos cost about $15. So the whole set up cost me about $80. I found that they do not make a big difference but I still think it's worth it. Plus I feed my fish a lot more now but the Nitrates are always under control. It's always nice to have some green plants in the house anyway.

I added in 5 taro plants last week and they grow very strong and fast. IMO, taro plants are the cheapest and best option. I bought them from an Asian supermarket. 5 of those for only $1. They will soon outgrow the pothos. For some reasons, my pothos grow very slow. So if you are considering added plants to your tank(s), get those taro plants. They also have very strong root system.
Thanks clearwater. I may go ahead and try. To your point having some plants doesn't hurt and it looks kinda nice in the sump , imo.

I started a separate thread to get inputs on the use of watercress.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016

A good choice

slyme

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2018
Indonesia
i tried pothos 1year ago they died about 1 week after i placed them. And about a week i tried again, and they died too...
No sunlight direct, only home lighting.
But i have pothos in my desk (office) i put them in jar, only water but places in window they got direct sunlight and they re good there.

Any suggest?

Jhay3513

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Charlotte, NC
i tried pothos 1year ago they died about 1 week after i placed them. And about a week i tried again, and they died too...
No sunlight direct, only home lighting.
But i have pothos in my desk (office) i put them in jar, only water but places in window they got direct sunlight and they re good there.

Any suggest?
They need more light or a direct light source. Even if it’s only a desk lamp with a 6,500 kelvin light bulb

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Jhay3513

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Charlotte, NC
I already tried gave them desk light (about 4500-4800k) direct to them. They still died bro. I'll try with 6500k
Are they fully submerged? I dint know if it matters but I don’t put the stems in the water. Just the roots. What are your readings in the water? What’s in the tank? Any other plants?

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store