Cheap Plecos

Venatosaur

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2006
Costa Rica
Hello again!
My last question before buyng a Pleco. I was just curious to know which is the cheapest pleco species. Thanks

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
The cheapest ones are not necessarily the ones you've been asking about. Hypostomus plecostomus can be bought for a couple of bucks each. And, for that savings you'll get a 17-19" turd factory that will put out so much waste you'll wonder where the clydesdale horse went after taking a dump in your tank.
For a couple of bucks more (4-5 bucks each) you can have yourself some dwarf ancistris cats that'll only grow to a few inches. aquabid.com is a good source. And, I think some of our sponsors occassionally carry them.

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Oddball said:
The cheapest ones are not necessarily the ones you've been asking about. Hypostomus plecostomus can be bought for a couple of bucks each. And, for that savings you'll get a 17-19" turd factory that will put out so much waste you'll wonder where the clydesdale horse went after taking a dump in your tank.
For a couple of bucks more (4-5 bucks each) you can have yourself some dwarf ancistris cats that'll only grow to a few inches. aquabid.com is a good source. And, I think some of our sponsors occassionally carry them.
Clydesdale horse? :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: Those are some tough species to keep in your tank! :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

White spot plecos are ten bucks each and seem to eat just about any type of ood, and some algae.

joeytoe

Semper fidelis
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
Canton, Massachusetts USA
cheapest plecos are the common plecos. You asked bout small plecos, but commons get Big.

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
If you want a smaller but cheap pleco go for a bristle nose. They don't get to big, they can eat lots of differen't things, they aren't poop machines, and you can choose the regular type or albino. They get about 5in, cost around $8-$12 dollars, and they are pretty tuff and can go with a lot of different fish. So I say go for one of those.

Drowning

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2006
eugene, or
So the cheapest are gonna be the common plecs. Then you have the $10 range with the bristlenoses and clown plecos, different variants of the rubber lip plecos are in this range as well and will do a decent job on the algae. Next you might find certain variants of peckoltia such as the tiger, candystripe, or butterfly for around $15. These stay relatively small and start to have the interesting markings.

Drowning

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Every time I have to clean the 2 16" x 4" strainers or wash out the sock filter, I'm reminded of a line by W. C. Fields:

"I don't drink water. Gads, no. Fish function in it."

Venatosaur

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2006
Costa Rica
Wow. That Pleco is enormous!!! :WHOA:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store