Check my work - 125 Gallon Stand Build

jstevenz

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2010
chicago il
Hi guys,

Just finishing up building my stand for my 125 gal. Ive built a bunch of smaller stands before but nothing over 75 gallons so want to have you guys check my work. Elevated 2x4 Lip is to hide the tank trim and not structural FYI. Tank will sit on a piece of plywood on top of the 6 structural points of 2x4's to the ground. I am going to do cross bracing on the bottom just like I did for the top then I should be done. I will eventually wrap it in plywood and make it nice but for now just want to get some input on if i should be good to go or not. Everything is leveled. stand2.jpgstand 3.jpgstand 4.jpg

Stand1.jpg

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Hmmm interesting design. I would've done a few things differently. Im not sure im visualizing it right but i think the tank is going between the long 2x4s and not on top? I would add more 2x4 framing and fastenings around the top and bottom frames.

jstevenz

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2010
chicago il
Hmmm interesting design. I would've done a few things differently. Im not sure im visualizing it right but i think the tank is going between the long 2x4s and not on top? I would add more 2x4 framing and fastenings around the top and bottom frames.
That is correct. The long 2x4 is to hide the bottom trim of the tank since i'm going to give it a "built-in" look.

What’s the span on the 2x6s?
36.5" is the span

Dutchaj

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2017
Personally my first option would be to run a 2x4 the long edge of the aquarium, my second option would be to go 12” or 16” OC spacing

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Yeah, that's a bit unique, compared to the very typical (and very strong) design shown in Burbotman Burbotman 's stand. On his, the surfaces that support the tank are all completely supported, wood standing on wood, right from floor to the support surface. Fasteners like screws and glue are at no point being expected to support the weight of the tank; they just the wood together in alignment.

On your design, it appears as though the plywood on which the tank sits will have that type of support only on the tops of six vertical 2x4's; all the horizontal pieces holding up that plywood are merely screwed/glued to the sides of uprights. The two long 2x4's running the length of the tank are the best-supported pieces there...but they are merely cosmetic in this design and contribute little to the strength of the stand.

I've done a couple stands that incorporate horizontals to overlay and conceal the edge of the tank like yours, but they were essentially built like the Burbotman Burbotman design and then had the horizontal dress pieces just tacked on after the fact, held by a minimal number of screws and no glue to allow easy removal if needed.

Reactions: esoxlucius

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
There is a tried and trusted "template" for stand building. You've strayed away slightly from that design with yours, but saying that it still looks very much up to the job of holding a 125 once the ply has been thrown on top.

Zooming in on your stand I'd be more concerned with those screws sticking out all over the place. Those are an "OUCH" moment waiting to happen!

Reactions: deeda and jjohnwm

kzimmerman

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2009
delmar md
there are a few of those! how long are those screws? they look like 3 1/2". Other than that, your tank stand is fine, just make sure it is straight and level, I would also put a piece of foam under the tank. Most aquarists seriously over build tank stands.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store