Cherry Shrimp Breeding Thread

Jim bean 20055

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2020
I am starting out my journey on breeding cherry shrimp. Thanks to lots of information by Fat Homer I am well on my way to breed shrimp.
Day 1: I have a 5 gallon tank with Italian Val and Jungle Val. I bought special substrate for them and Im hoping to get some hornwort and some java moss.
Here are some pictures:
Photo on 2-20-21 at 6.52 PM.jpg

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Nice! Look forward to watching how it goes!
I would throw some moss balls in there, shrimp seem to love those.

Reactions: Fishnerd360

ichthyogeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2015
Arkansas
Eh, if they're regular Neos, they shouldn't need special substrate. That's typically used for Caridinas.

Additionally, if that's a HOB filter or something, I'd suggest putting some sort of fine open cell foam on it. Shrimp are really good at getting sucked up and killed by filtration unless it's a sponge filter...

Jim bean 20055

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2020
Eh, if they're regular Neos, they shouldn't need special substrate. That's typically used for Caridinas.

Additionally, if that's a HOB filter or something, I'd suggest putting some sort of fine open cell foam on it. Shrimp are really good at getting sucked up and killed by filtration unless it's a sponge filter...
Ok I will put something on the filter thank you! What do you mean by regular Neos?

Reactions: Deadeye

ichthyogeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2015
Arkansas
Well if you bought standard cherry shrimp, those should be Neocaridinas (either davidii or heteropoda. Same species but taxonomy is picky). Shrimp like "bloody mary" "fire red" "sakura" "painted fire red" shrimp are all known as red cherry shrimp, and are Neocaridina sp. If on the other hand you bought something like a crystal red shrimp, that would be a Caridina sp. shrimp (I'm not well versed with those).

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Good luck with the shrimp and keep this thread updated, would love to see how they go...

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Shrimp love mosses to bits, and plants in general. More algae = More food.
Take care not to over feed your shrimp, it's quite easy as they don't need much. I barely feed the shrimp in my scape.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store