Cherry Shrimp Breeding Thread

Jim bean 20055

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2020
There is algae in my dad's koi pond outside. Should I take some and put it in the 5 gallon for the shrimp?

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
There is algae in my dad's koi pond outside. Should I take some and put it in the 5 gallon for the shrimp?
Do they eat hornwort or?
No they don't eat healthy plants. Actually I've never seen mine eat even dying leaves or plants. I let the sides of the tank build up algae, they pick on that most of the day. I don't think or haven't seen them eat stuff like hair algae or blackbeard algae. They eat leftover food, algae wafers, and will eat bloodworms and black worms and other meaty items. Depending on your feeding and water parameters you may need to supplement some calcium in their diets. Crab or shrimp foods can be purchased. Also cuttle bone can be put in the tank with them, they pick at those. Some of the newest info on them puts their diet in the 60% protein area, which is more then previously thought.

Reactions: Jim bean 20055

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Shrimp love heavily planted tanks, and the moss balls, as you know. Place moss balls around the tank with small rocks. It creates something for them to do.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I would let algae grow naturally... otherwise you may get a really serious outbreak which gets out of control...

Coz while shrimp eat algae, they dont eat a ton of it... at least not unless you got a huge colony of them and even then they aren’t that ravenous...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store