Chiapaheros grammodes

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
In nature they share habitat with Vieja harwegii, and breidhori, and live bearers preying on the young Vieja. and live bearer fry.
I acquired a half dozen juvies from an American Cichlid Assn auction, and housed them with mollies in a 6 ft tank.
As they grew, they ate all the mollies, and then proceeded to kill each other off.
I was left with a pair, that spawned 3 times over the next couple years. Great fish to keep but very shy, so do a lot of hiding except when guarding fry.
In a 6 ft tank, they objected to the addition of any other cichlid, by quickly killing it.
In a 300+ gallon tank, they might accept others.
male

female

female with eggs

pair when young

Dovii kid

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2006
Connecticut
Agreed. My grammodes were very shy and would not tolerate tankmates. My male was the most aggressive species I’ve ever owned. While some may enjoy them, their shy nature and temperament were a turn off.

LDPatton

Piranha
MFK Member
May 12, 2019
I really like these fish. I wish they were like other cichlids and not so shy.

Justin Holland

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2016
MARYLAND
I will say that to my understanding, they go through a phase of shyness.
Mine were always outgoing when smaller, then at about the 4 inch mark, they would be very shy, especially the males.
Once they hit 6+ inch, they tend to become a lot bolder. duanes duanes

Toiletcar

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
USA
I will say that to my understanding, they go through a phase of shyness.
Mine were always outgoing when smaller, then at about the 4 inch mark, they would be very shy, especially the males.
Once they hit 6+ inch, they tend to become a lot bolder. duanes duanes
Very nice male ?
You know people always say salvini are shy too, but I have yet to own one that hides. Think the reason is tank size and tankmates. I think as they grow they gain confidence too.

Reactions: Justin Holland
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store