Chinese water dragon home

hydie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2014
pensacola, fl
So I’ve got a Male Chinese water dragon, and I was hoping to get some advice about his home. The substrate at the bottom is peat moss, he has two heat lamps since it’s by the window for winter, his home stays around 85-90 degrees he loves soaking in his water, he’s shed about 4 times in 4 months.... is that normal? Oh and the humidity fluctuates between 30 and 60, there is a mister but it doesn’t seem to do the job good enough so I’m thinking of buying a new one. Are there any suggestions to what I should change or add?? He eats a variety of crickets(dusted with calcium), mealworms, red worms, and organges every now and then. Oh and his home is a 125g aquarium.

image.jpg

Viridis

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2016
A few things:

1. He is going to need a much bigger enclosure soon (assuming he's currently a hatchling). Physignathus cocincinus can get over 3 feet with the tail, and are arboreal and slightly aquatic (mostly as an escape strategy). You're eventually going to need an enclosure a few feet in every direction as a minimum.
2. Are those temperatures the basking spot? "cold" side? How are you measuring it?
3. The humidity is too low. The easiest way would be to cover the top with a piece of glass (acrylic will warp like crazy on that tank). How often are the misters going off? For how long? What brand of mister are you using?
4. Are you gutloading the insects? I'd forgo the oranges and offer vegetation with a different nutrient profile. Things like Dandelion leaves, escarole, endive, Opuntia pads chopped up (spines removed!), etc. In the wild they also eat fish, mammals and other reptiles. Once he gets bigger, occasionally offer frozen/thawed rodents. Not daily, but every so often. For now stick with the dusted and gutloaded insects, and the greens suggested.

I'd also add more horizontal branches for him to perch on. These are primarily arboreal animals after all.

Also, take it to a competent vet and get it screened for parasites. It's likely wild-caught, and they always come in riddled with parasites.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store