Chipped a 55 gallon

Pond9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2017
I just got a second hand 55 gallon had it on the deck doing a leak test for past week and I was doing yard work and bringing my shovel and it nicked the corner.... I took pics is is no good anymore? I was just about to put a euro frame on top to...

IMG_2219.JPG

IMG_2220.JPG

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I just got a second hand 55 gallon had it on the deck doing a leak test for past week and I was doing yard work and bringing my shovel and it nicked the corner.... I took pics is is no good anymore? I was just about to put a euro frame on top to...

View attachment 1254700

View attachment 1254702

If it doesn't leak or from the chipped area I would use it. If it leaks at all wait for the $1 per gallon sale and get new 55.

Pond9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2017
It doesn't leak I think it looks worse in pics than it actually is. I plan on taking top off doing euro and panting back and sides blue so the chip won't even show should I put silicone over it to cover in the chip just to be safe?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
It doesn't leak I think it looks worse in pics than it actually is. I plan on taking top off doing euro and panting back and sides blue so the chip won't even show should I put silicone over it to cover in the chip just to be safe?

You could if you want it wouldn't cause any problems.

Reactions: Pond9

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I agree , its fine, ran lots of tanks with chips like that. not a biggy. The silicone seal looks to be in excellent shape.

Reactions: tlindsey and Pond9

Pond9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2017
Thanks it easies my mind lol. My tanks are in my basement with concrete floors and a drain so it's not the end of the world if it broke. I'm more concerned on the safety of my fish don't wanna lose any there my "kids" lol

Reactions: tlindsey

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Chipped tank post

Hello; I have a way to lessen the chance of chipped edges on my all glass tanks. Having chipped a couple myself I searched for a product to protect the exposed glass edges. This only became an issue with the invention of the all glass tanks recently. (recent to me anyway) Tanks use to have a proper metal frame covering all the glass edges. That frame was taken away and called it progress. I guess a lot more replacement tanks get sold. I have a tank from the 1970’s with a stainless frame and nary a chipped edge.

I found clear plastic intended to protect the outside corners off wallpaper jobs. It is shaped in a 90 degree angle and come in lengths of several feet. I cut it to the length of my tanks and use clear silicone to attach it to the four exposed edges. Not a single chip on such protected tanks .

The stuff I have found so far is a bit wide so I trim a little of the width using a utility knife and a straight edge as a guide.

I have found it at hardware stores.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Chipped tank post

Hello; I have a way to lessen the chance of chipped edges on my all glass tanks. Having chipped a couple myself I searched for a product to protect the exposed glass edges. This only became an issue with the invention of the all glass tanks recently. (recent to me anyway) Tanks use to have a proper metal frame covering all the glass edges. That frame was taken away and called it progress. I guess a lot more replacement tanks get sold. I have a tank from the 1970’s with a stainless frame and nary a chipped edge.

I found clear plastic intended to protect the outside corners off wallpaper jobs. It is shaped in a 90 degree angle and come in lengths of several feet. I cut it to the length of my tanks and use clear silicone to attach it to the four exposed edges. Not a single chip on such protected tanks .

The stuff I have found so far is a bit wide so I trim a little of the width using a utility knife and a straight edge as a guide.

I have found it at hardware stores.

Thanks for sharing! Great idea☺

Reactions: GamerChick5567
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store