Choose my stock for my 45 gallon patio pond

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
I think that’s what I will be doing by now. No California killifish; I need to catch them at watersheds, and that means they are brackish. So I think maybe gymneogeophagus, and then a few Platys. Do you think gymnogeophagus terapurpura is fine? I like them. If not, then maybe some kind of small sunfish.

KATALEKEEPER

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2020
Brooklyn, Ny
I think that’s what I will be doing by now. No California killifish; I need to catch them at watersheds, and that means they are brackish. So I think maybe gymneogeophagus, and then a few Platys. Do you think gymnogeophagus terapurpura is fine? I like them. If not, then maybe some kind of small sunfish.
where are you going to find them lol? Aren't they rare / new to science?

C. Breeze

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2021
Coastal Empire
Terrapurprra would be my first or second choice. Perfect size, good temperament, prolific spawner and comes from 30-34 degrees south so it can handle real cold and real temperature swings

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Well, KATALEKEEPER KATALEKEEPER , they come from watersheds around San Diego, most inaccessible. The ones that are (the staff) have never heard of them. So my mom and I went to investigate with a bubbler and a cooler. Guess what we found. Mosquito fish. Anddddd, the rest of the watersheds have salt in them, very low amount, but still. So I think gymneogeophagus are my choice next.

Reactions: C. Breeze

C. Breeze

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2021
Coastal Empire
It’s awesome having cichlids that keep like a native. Sort of fills a niche in my life that at times felt like a total obsession. I grew up in florida and caught Dempseys as a kid alongside bream.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Oh! So you keep gymnogeophagus? I look forward to presenting this idea to the headmaster (aka; Dad). Will the fry survive in that pond? As you know, the patio pond isn’t heated, and the 10 bucks spent on the heating in my 55 is enough money for my dad to spend on mantenance lol. How big do Gymnogeophagus Terrapura get?

Reactions: C. Breeze

0wen_96

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2020
Wallingford, PA
Will consider that. I want something that would be endemic to southern California, or rarely seen in other places. I saw this pupfish that is critically endangered because they only like water in this shallow river in .4 square miles.
The devil's hole pupfish?

C. Breeze

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2021
Coastal Empire
Oh! So you keep gymnogeophagus? I look forward to presenting this idea to the headmaster (aka; Dad). Will the fry survive in that pond? As you know, the patio pond isn’t heated, and the 10 bucks spent on the heating in my 55 is enough money for my dad to spend on mantenance lol. How big do Gymnogeophagus Terrapura get?
the terpurapura only get 4” or so. That’s why they’d be my favorite for the vat that size.that and they aren’t nearly as territorial and aggressive as the mouthbrooders and they can take the cold and temperature swings. And theyare Active in the pond not just hiding. But they’re little cichlids so they don’t stand out very well. Why you might want a sand bottom that they’ll stand on better. You’ll want plenty of Anacharis or hornwort in there for water quality. Some of The fry will survive fine in there but you won’t be raising a ton of fry in that small of a vat, attrition is a thing.

mine stay out year round at 32degrees north on the coast. I have multiple spawns and pull fry of multiple ages in the fall. But to get max fry you have to steal them and raise them.

I don’t use a filter or aeration just plants.

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store