Choose my stock for my 45 gallon patio pond

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
I've got anacharis covered. I will arrange a sand bottom. Would pool sand be fine? I enjoy that kind of sand. I'm not expecting to raise a ton of fry. Would it be ok if I added Platys in there to keep the fry population down?

Reactions: C. Breeze

C. Breeze

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2021
Coastal Empire
All of the above are fine. Rinse that pool filter sand. Mine start moving around a good bit once the water hits 60 and then it’s pretty much non stop action- though you have to sort of pay attention and get some polarized glasses since they aren’t 13” long and orange and white. But they’re cool little cichlids that stay busy and look really cool. The handful of fry that you bring in to see in the fall will really bring a smile.

Reactions: Deadeye

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
What is the Polarized Glass for? I thought they were relatively colorful?
Polarized lenses, when aligned with angle of incidence of light rays, can be used to selectively block reflections which will remove glare from the surface of the water allowing to see through the water nice and clearly without having the glare block the view

Reactions: C. Breeze

C. Breeze

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2021
Coastal Empire
Very colorful- but the view from the top isn’t the same as the view from the side. They’ve “been bred” to be invisible from above more or less. Ornamental pond fish have been bred for top viewing. I think this has been covered though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store