Choosing good koi

Do you prefer?

• Total voters

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
A koi is judged from the top and symmetry in pattern is key to a good koi, that is a Lois pattern should be balanced on both the left and right when viewed from above.
The pattern should be vibrant ( not faded), at least in most varieties.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
When looking at young koi, try to imagine how the pattern will change and develop before selecting your fish.

If possible see the fishes parents as this can be insightful as well

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Body conformation is also important. If a small koi looks “off” it will only get worse the bigger it grows.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Body conformation is also important. If a small koi looks “off” it will only get worse the bigger it grows.
Agreed, for example I like fish with cone shaped head profiles, not blunt heads.

Another thing to look for is even finage no crimps, uneven/unbalanced or deformed fins.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Agreed, for example I like fish with cone shaped head profiles, not blunt heads.

Another thing to look for is even finage no crimps, uneven/unbalanced or deformed fins.
How very interesting. This is where personal preference does come in like davemal davemal said. Just buy fish you like the look of.
I personally like the look of blunt heads better. Lol. My German scale doitsu koi and my bekko are my favorite body wise because they have very rounded faces. So does my very mutty black and orange koi.

I also like the look of a stocky body. That’s the main reason I like my girls so much. The males are too thin for my liking.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
How very interesting. This is where personal preference does come in like davemal davemal said. Just buy fish you like the look of.
I personally like the look of blunt heads better. Lol. My German scale doitsu koi and my bekko are my favorite body wise because they have very rounded faces. So does my very mutty black and orange koi.

I also like the look of a stocky body. That’s the main reason I like my girls so much. The males are too thin for my liking.
You know your koi.
To me "good koi" is any koi that is disease free whether defect or not.
"Show quality koi" is different story. Many factor come in play and not just pattern. There are best in class, best in size, best in show,........Qualities like Kiwa, Sashi, sumi are judged.
Tategoi (koi with potential) are not cheap and domestic kois almost never will be good enough for show. Bloodline and controlled breeding is down to a science. More times, it is the big females with round faces that win best in show. It is very hard to keep show quality kois. Water quality and diet is a must. There are forums just dedicated to kois that discuss topics with great knowledge and depth.

davemal

Piranha
MFK Member
May 15, 2007
Neath
I think koi are more prone to disease because we keep them too clean … too much filtering and fussing to keep water perfect. Most fish would look better if kept in a big muddy pond

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
You know your koi.
To me "good koi" is any koi that is disease free whether defect or not.
"Show quality koi" is different story. Many factor come in play and not just pattern. There are best in class, best in size, best in show,........Qualities like Kiwa, Sashi, sumi are judged.
Tategoi (koi with potential) are not cheap and domestic kois almost never will be good enough for show. Bloodline and controlled breeding is down to a science. More times, it is the big females with round faces that win best in show. It is very hard to keep show quality kois. Water quality and diet is a must. There are forums just dedicated to kois that discuss topics with great knowledge and depth.
I completely agree. Good koi and show quality koi are very different. And I have yet to see a domestic koi that can stand up to those bred and kept in Japan.
Not sure I would say I know my koi, lol. I have very limited knowledge, but try to learn all I can. And keeping the lower quality koi I can definitely see the difference between them and higher quality ones.
I am on a forum just for koi and it is a whole nother level of fish keeping.

davemal davemal I agree. The best skin on koi I’ve ever seen were koi kept in relatively low tech mud ponds. And I’m sure keeping them in a more sterile environment does work against us. Yet because our systems we keep them in are so small compared to their natural environment, we are forced to keep parasites and bad bacteria out as much as possible to keep things under control.

I’d love to have a low tech mud pond.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store