Chromis/Damsel ID

Tom LoFaro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2010
11704 NY
Hey guys, my dad picked this up from a lfs as a preset for me so I don't necessarily know what it is. My dad made sure it was peaceful and when he found out it was, he went and got it for me. Anyway, he bought it in the morning, forgot it floating in his tank for about 6 hours (literally) and then I finally got him into my tank and no problems at all, shockingly. Seconds after I put him in, he was very active and wasn't shy at all. I put in some food and he ate right away and is swimming with my other Chromis, no signs of aggression at all. Anyway, here's a pic, hope you can ID my little buddy. It's crappy quality because he's out of focus, he swam right up to me once I put the camera to the tank.

Let me describe him a little so you guys know what you're looking at..
He has the yellow stripe at the top of him, his body is all white, and his bottom fins are blue with a black stripe in them.

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
I forgot the name but it's one of the ones that loses its color. I think it gets big and turns grey/black

BigO6687

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2010
banana land

BigO6687

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2010
banana land
some info from la

The Bluefin Damselfish is also called the Black Damselfish, Bowtie Damselfish, Yellow-back Damsel, and Royal Damsel. As a juvenile, it is very attractive, with a gray body highlighted by bright yellow dorsally and blue pectoral fins. As the fish matures, it becomes uniformly black. In the wild, the Bluefin Damselfish is usually solitary and often associated with soft corals on which it feeds. In the aquarium, the juvenile is generally peaceful but becomes quite aggressive as it matures. It should only be kept with other large aggressive species. Only one Bluefin Damselfish should be kept per aquarium, unless it is very large. It may be a threat to shrimp, and may nip at soft corals.
The Bluefin Damselfish accepts most food including flake and frozen preparations.

pomatomus is right about the adult color

Tom LoFaro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2010
11704 NY
Yup, that's him. Thanks for the info, if he becomes a problem I'll get rid of him, but for now I think he'll be okay.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Cant give you a specific name on this guy, but not surprised that he was fine after the bag floated for that long.

Fish that are shipped are in transit for much longer, under much harsher conditions.

Only thing this fish had to worry about was O2, and that was probably plentiful.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store