Cichlasoma sp. 'Esmeraldas Gold'

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
Hi Shane,

When you say they're a lot different, how so? A couple pictures or videos would be nice even if it's just with a webcam.

My male is probably pushing about the same size as yours. I've had them almost a year now so I don't see them growing much bigger. However, in typical acara fashion, they will definitely turn violent with each other if they don't have adequate space. As you can see in the videos, I gave my pair an entire 55 gallon. I eventually had to remove the pair because they had become so aggressive toward me that the male was jumping out every time I opened the lid and I didn't want him to kill himself. They're now back with the group.

Mine spawn a lot, but they never got past wriggler stage when they were with the group. For that to happen I had to remove the other fish and the pair got it right on the first try afterward.

I didn't have any difficulty with these fry. I fed newly hatched brine shrimp from the day they went free-swimming. My water parameters are nothing special; they're in pH 7.6 with a kH of 7 and a gH of 5, usually around TDS 200 - 250ppm from the tap. The heater in that tank has always run hot, so they've probably been maintained at 85F or so. This is hotter than I keep most acaras but it hasn't negatively affected them. However it does make them very active and may contribute to how aggressive they are.

Water quality can be an issue with small fry so I'd make sure the tank is clean. The extra volume of a larger tank would help with that. Otherwise you may have to do larger and/or more frequent water changes to stay on top of it. I started 50% water changes once a week once they hit a week old, and as they grew and I fed more I increased that to 90% changes every couple of days. This lessens the bacterial loads in the tank, removes the dissolved organics and nitrates from the water, and replenishes trace elements and minerals which the fish will need for growth. If they deplete these from the water and you don't replenish them fast enough the fish will have bone and fin growth issues.

I had a similar frustrating experience with Heros severus fry. The parents seemed healthy, spawned frequently, and the fry would hatch fine and act normal for the first couple of weeks, then they'd turn black and start dying. I tried everything -- new foods, different water, treating the parents for parasites and internal worms/flagellates, flukes... nothing ever worked. I never figured it out. One of the most maddening things I've ever experienced as a fishkeeper.

Reactions: Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Potatoland
hoboflyfishing.com
Jeremy, where are you located? I have literally hundreds of 1" fish available.
I am in Boise Idaho. It is pretty cold for shipping right now unless you are sort of close by. It was 18°f at my house last night. Thanks for hitting me up,let’s try to work something out. I am not entirely clear on the rules for making deals here, hope we aren’t breaking them, lol

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Thanks for the reply, Ryan.
With that information I can see some of the flaws I had with how I raised mine... I fed them crushed up pellets and flakes, and only did 25-50% water changes every few days...
In the last few spawns the pair had, I left the fry with the parents. They seem to rely on the parents for their first week of life. Mine would keep their fry in a pit, and in a sense they're kind of like birds, as I'd drop in the fry food, the parents would eat it, the spit it all out over the cloud of fry, which then eat it. If the parents didn't do that, the fry wouldn't eat. That's probably one reason the fry died when I separated them early.
Int he first week of life the fry would rely on their parents for everything. The second week they'd swim around in a little school pecking at whatever scraps or microorganisms they found in the tank. The parents would also do this thing where they'd take the leftover brine shrimp I fed them (the adults) and spit it out on top of a rock, which would later grow this weird algae type thing, which the fry would kind of graze on.
While the fry are growing, natural selection takes place...
The adults would pick off the weak or unhealthy fry, and the weaker fry would just die off.
By 2-3 weeks there would just be a small school of about 20 strong, healthier fry... but then they'd get eaten in one day by the parents for some reason.
What I meant by my pair is different is that they show some... intelligence
I moved a while back, and I was trying to net them. I lured them to the top with food, then netted them there. From then on any floating food I gave them they'd grab it and take it to the deeper parts of the tank to eat. I took their eggs a few times to rear separately. One time I couldn't move the fry since the eggs were laid on one of their big caves, so I left them to hatch so I could pull them out later. Once they hatched, (probably knowing I was going to take her babies) the female dug 6 pits and put some fry in 4 of them, leaving 2 empty 'trick' ones.
I still pulled most of the fry, but the remaining ones that were buried in the gravel I left for the parents to rear. That's when I learned how they rear their fry.
Also my pair is very secretive. They like to hide in their caves, and both do separate things in their tanks. The male only comes out for food or to defend his territory. The female likes to come out during the day and swim around a bit. She also comes out and swims back and forth to beg me for food, even if I had just fed her.
About tank size (again)... I would move them into my 55 gallon, if my blood parrot wasn't so big and aggressive. He's a good 10 inches long, 3 inches thick, and 6-7 inches tall. VERY aggressive, since he has the whole 55 gallon to himself, apart from a good sized pleco I have in there. (it used to be a community tank with a lot of others and he used to be very nice, but the other fish got killed by something I'll talk about another day)

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
well here's a VERY poor quality webcam picture of my male, he doesn't like my chromebook very much...upload_2017-12-5_17-56-19.png

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
here's another, with him in his cave...

PHOTO_20171205_180427.jpg

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
also my pair uses those long white pelvic fins of theirs as bipods that they kind of sit on
that brown stuff you can see on top of the cave is what they would feed their fry too

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
wow this thread has been quiet...
anyway I'm happy to say that my female has fully recovered, her fins have healed and she shows no signs of any internal parasites. She no longer has a sunken belly and is in fact pretty plump now.
I still will not be putting her with my male however, as she is quite small in comparison to him.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store