Cichlasoma (Vieja) synspilum (Redhead Cichlid) Question

Carg R

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2006
Texas
Mystus Redtail;1401515; said:
So how big before coloring up?
It all depends on the Genetics of the individual fish (the 4-6 inches I've seen have had nice color).

Here are a few pics of my friends pair, you can see between greenterra, misplacedsooner, polomax24, & these there are definately a few different 'strains' out there, some have better color some don't.

QueenslandeR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2007
Queensland ~ Australia
they're great i love mine, temperment seems to be pretty good although i would agree that they do breed easily with other species....

alaskan_aquaristJW

Feeder Fish
Jan 2, 2008
Anchorage Alaska
they are great fish and get attached to their owners from my experience...mine likes to floow my finger around the glass, and comes out to greet me when i feed him sometimes...here are some pics, i got him at 2", hes about 6" now....

synsei 9.JPG

synsei 11.JPG

synspilum 2.JPG

synspium 3.JPG

Modest_Man

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2006
Washington
alaskan_aquaristJW;1402389; said:
they are great fish and get attached to their owners from my experience...mine likes to floow my finger around the glass, and comes out to greet me when i feed him sometimes...here are some pics, i got him at 2", hes about 6" now....
That isn't a synspilium.

polomax said:
I think you feed your synspilum too much shrimp which bring out the blue/black pigment on him. A balance diet including veggie pellets will bring out his red coloration.
And shrimp, krill, and crayfish, will BRING out red, not damper it. Try feeding foods high in carotene (the source of red) for better color. Veggies won't bring out more red, but a varied diet will help with all around better looks.

I have three synspilium from Harry Tolen's old breeding pair (if anyone knows who he is), I'll get some photos up some time soon.

alaskan_aquaristJW

Feeder Fish
Jan 2, 2008
Anchorage Alaska
ok so if it isnt synspilum then what is it? they were selling them at our one reliable lfs, they know thier stuff at that place.....ive looked a photos and profiles ll over the web and all factors point to synspilum....what else could it be?

Modest_Man

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2006
Washington
alaskan_aquaristJW;1410683; said:
ok so if it isnt synspilum then what is it? they were selling them at our one reliable lfs, they know thier stuff at that place.....ive looked a photos and profiles ll over the web and all factors point to synspilum....what else could it be?
I can't tell you what it is, just what it isn't. Look at all the photos posted just in this thread. Your fish is not a synspilium. I hate to throw the word hybrid around, but if I had to choose something, that would be it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store