cichlid aggression scale

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
Has there been a past efforts to create a scale on mfk for rating the aggression of cichlids to help with compatibility? I'm thinking something along the lines of rating each species on a scale of 1 to 10, maybe starting with a range of extremely common fish such as keyholes, gt, midas, jag, severum, etc to establish a base rating. After this scale has been set members can reference this scale and assign a number to the cichlids that they have kept based on the typical aggression of the cichlids used to set the scale. The one caveat would be that we establish a minimum length of time to have kept a fish, and they kept fish till the were either adults or at least old enough to breed.

elting44

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2007
Salina, KS
The sticky in the CA/SA Cichlid section is like this, but without a quantative scale like you are suggesting.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14881

The problem with getting a putting a value rating/scale to temper is temper is both subjective and depends on the individual fish.

I might see a JD beat on a Severum and deduce that it is the meanest fish around. But another person may own a JD that is mild mannered and timid and think I am out of my mind

Gatorxxx420

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2010
Taylor, Mi
elting44;4554498; said:
The sticky in the CA/SA Cichlid section is like this, but without a quantative scale like you are suggesting.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14881

The problem with getting a putting a value rating/scale to temper is temper is both subjective and depends on the individual fish.

I might see a JD beat on a Severum and deduce that it is the meanest fish around. But another person may own a JD that is mild mannered and timid and think I am out of my mind
I agree with this, it's hard to gauge just how mean each fish will be. Typically Red Devils and Midas will be your meanest. But there is always that one exception here and there. Just like there is always that rare exception that an EBJD is a mean fish. I have one that holds it's own against my Carpintis and very mean BGJD. But none of them compare to my Red Dragon Flowerhorn. He's a solo fish because he can't play well with others. My BGJD and RDFH have both killed tank mates more than once.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
If you collect. a large enough data pool, you'll achieve accuracy. My biggest concerned is unqualified people chiming in, for example I picked up a rotkeil 3 weeks ago and it is the only severum I've ever had so obviously I have no business giving my opinion severum.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
Even if only enough input is collected to create the base scale I feel it would be a great help. This say a 40 members contribute and a jd averages a 7, most people are familiar with jd and if somebody wanted something less common like a vieja of some sort one can describe the vieja as a 7 and have a decent understanding of what they are getting. I feel a lot of times members will state a fish is aggressive when the most aggressive fish they own would only rank around a 4 or they'll say that a fish isn't that aggressive but the least aggressive fish they own is a gt.

These rankings I used are for example purposes only as I know I am not qualified to comment on the fish listed, I was merely trying to give an example as to how this would work.

Here are my thoughts on fish I am familiar with
Jurapari - 1
Angel fish, Cupido and Rams - 2
Geophagus rio Tapajos - 3
Nic and EBJD - 4

elting44

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2007
Salina, KS
Gatorxxx420;4554662; said:
I agree with this, it's hard to gauge just how mean each fish will be. Typically Red Devils and Midas will be your meanest. But there is always that one exception here and there. Just like there is always that rare exception that an EBJD is a mean fish. I have one that holds it's own against my Carpintis and very mean BGJD. But none of them compare to my Red Dragon Flowerhorn. He's a solo fish because he can't play well with others. My BGJD and RDFH have both killed tank mates more than once.
Let's look at Gatorxxx's post. It highlights some of the flaws of a gathering data for a scale/rating system. I agree with what he is saying, and mean no disrespect.

He says the Red Devils and Midas will be your meanest. So hypothetically we would say he is rating them as a 9 or 10.

Someone who has owned Dovii, Cubans, Umbees as well as Midas may think that this is way off and could rate a dovii as a 10, Cubans at 8 and Midas at 6.

Also, he is saying his Red Dragon FH is above and beyond mean. Which I agree, FH are aggro as heck. But do we include hybrids in the scale? A Red Texas might be more mild mannered than a ZZ, etc

bbortko;4555045; said:
If you collect. a large enough data pool, you'll achieve accuracy. My biggest concerned is unqualified people chiming in, for example I picked up a rotkeil 3 weeks ago and it is the only severum I've ever had so obviously I have no business giving my opinion severum.
This is true. It would take a lot of data, from expierienced aquarists. Look at the CA/SA Agression sticky. On the first page you have people saying that Oscars and Firemouths are the meanest. Some Oscars are mean, some are softies and get beat up by fish 1/3 of thier size. I would list both of them in the low on my list.

But I havent owned dovii, umbee, cubans, etc, etc so I wouldnt feel comfortable trying to rate them

Gatorxxx420

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2010
Taylor, Mi
elting44;4555151; said:
Let's look at Gatorxxx's post. It highlights some of the flaws of a gathering data for a scale/rating system. I agree with what he is saying, and mean no disrespect.

He says the Red Devils and Midas will be your meanest. So hypothetically we would say he is rating them as a 9 or 10.

Someone who has owned Dovii, Cubans, Umbees as well as Midas may think that this is way off and could rate a dovii as a 10, Cubans at 8 and Midas at 6.

Also, he is saying his Red Dragon FH is above and beyond mean. Which I agree, FH are aggro as heck. But do we include hybrids in the scale? A Red Texas might be more mild mannered than a ZZ, etc
No disrespect taken. RD's and Midas were just what popped in my head first. There is no doubt a Dovii is above them. But mine were just merely examples from my personal experiences with my current stock. On occasion you get docile RDs. Midas and Dovii while you get complete terrors from fish you least expect to be. That's why this would be a tough bit of data to collect.

Guapoako318

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2010
VA
If you wanted to have some sort of scale. I think you just have to start it and throw everything else into the scale in relation to a few more common and accepted opinions. For example, for 7 you could just say JD and Convict. Then compared to that you could put cubans, doviis, RDs, and whatever higher than 7.

RiskEE

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2010
Los Angeles
we should try to make 1 lets all make a scale for the fish we have experienced with i agree owning 1 sa cichlid dosent mean we have experience on the fish or we can kind of avrage it out it will be kind of cool 2 have a mfk aggression chart

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store