Cichlid Guessing Game, CA/SA Cichlids Only!!

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
Close enough! Your turn. Did they used to be wajpamheros? Not sure if that's the current taxonomy or not

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The latest paper reassigning genera in Vertabrate Zoology by Rican etc has placed them in Wajpamheros. They have had quite the name ride, Theraps, even Amphilophus for a time, Astatheros, and now the new name where they are the only member (so far) of the genus
When I first had them, they were in Amphilophus. Luckily the species name seldom changes.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The one above killed all his brothers and sisters in a 90 gal, almost over night at about 3" in length.
I should have immediately put them in a 6ft tank, and with more current than I did, and maybe with other similar sized juvie cichlids (or other dithers) to spread things out.
I find strong current to be a major factor in holding down aggression in rheophillic cichlids.
I had always heard how aggressive Criboheros rostratum, were, but when I put 15 together in a tank with lots of current, there were no aggression issues.
The current was strong enough to keep plants constantly bent, below is that rostratum tank.

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
Very interesting as always, thanks for the info duanes duanes

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store