Cichlid Identification

Aquatastic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2019
Hello everyone, new member here!
I recently brought home this cichlid after seeing it at my lfs. It reminds me of a JD but most likely it's a hybrid of some sort. Any thoughts on the type of cichlid this guy/gal is?

Also, I'm fairly new to cichlid keeping (although I've been in the aquarium hobby for about 10 years). Previous cichlid experience was a gbr so any tips/advice on cichlid care of bigger species is appreciated.

P.S. This guy is going into my future 75g once I have completed that build..hopefully soon (fingers crossed)!

20190315_181616.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

Aquatastic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2019
Also, please excuse the algae. Current temporary lighting sucks and encourages algae growth...

Aquatastic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2019
Thank you both. Being a female JD will she potentially be as aggressive as males, and will she color up as she matures or do females generally stay relatively lighter colored than males?

Reactions: tlindsey

AKBlueJacks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2018
USA
Welcome to the forum. I find that Jack Dempseys aren’t really aggressive until they start breeding. In my opinion, they display their best color when they are paired up and breeding. The females can turn very black when they are guarding eggs or fry. I think the one you have is pretty dark for a female that is by herself. I have seen both males and females way more washed out than that.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I would agree that is a female JD. They are not very aggressive in my experience. I kept a female in a 90g with severums, an Oscar, and various other amaller fish (overstocked... this was about 15 years ago) for at least 3 years and she bothered nobody.

Aquatastic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2019
Okay, thanks. Just wanted to make sure she would be peaceful enough to not chew up my bgk once she matured. I prefer to keep them in the same tank for as long as possible until the bgk grows out of the 75g.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store