cichlid myths

Ornatapinnis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2005
Dayton Ohio
I have noticed over the years of being in this hobby that when the name cichlid is mentioned, people have all kinds of misconceptions and beliefs about them. Suprisingly, I have been seeing them here too. I'll adress some of the one's I hear alot and have seen here but I would like others to add in thier imput too. Mabye we can clear up a few myths about cichlids...

First, what make a cichlid a cichlid? It's not agression or attitude like so many think. Cichlids have a single pair of nostrils and a broken lateral line. Not very exciting but that is what clasifies a fish as a cichlid.

Cichlids are mean, kills evey thing. Can't keep cichlids with other fish. Wrong - Cichlids range from tiny wimpy fish to huge bruisers. Fresh water angel fish and discus are cichlids, so are many other common every day comunity fish but people don't know it.

People seem to think Oscars are some brutal bad ass killer. Allways hearing about how mean oscars are. Agressiveness is a term of relativity. Sure an oscar may kill you mollies and goldfish but thier not that mean. I like oscars but thay are way over rated.

Cichlid food; There is no such thing as a food that is correct for all cichlids. Thier dietary needs are radically veried. Some are hard core meat eaters, some are vegetarians, many fit somewhere in the middle. THis is at fault mostly of the fish food makers but hobbiest should know better. Suprisingly many don't.

African cichlids; man, this is a big subject full of misconceptions in it self. Even within the same lake these fish have a broad range of personalities, sizes and dietary needs. People still keep them all together, feed them feeders and meaty food because "mean fish are meat eaters" and "they like that kind of food". Fact is many of the malawi and tanginician fish that are commonly kept are vegitarians

Cichlids don't care about ph; Just because a cichlid (or any fish for that matter) is alive does not mean it is in it's correct enviroment and is happy. I realise that many fish will adjust to values other than where they came from but in most cases they will do better in an enviroment similar to what would have been natural to them. I guess the reason I brought this up is because I saw where someone had stated that thier cichlids were in a ph of 8.0 and were doing good so there for that must be the right ph for them. Didn't sound like any research was done to come to this conclusion other than they lived so it must be right. Very bad practice....bad advise to be offering to people.

I'm sure that's there's tons more, lets hear some other views and myths that need addressed.

Mourinho18

Caquetaia man
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2005
somewhere
Ornatapinnis said:
Cichlids are mean, kills evey thing. Can't keep cichlids with other fish. Wrong - Cichlids range from tiny wimpy fish to huge bruisers. Fresh water angel fish and discus are cichlids, so are many other common every day comunity fish but people don't know it.

People seem to think Oscars are some brutal bad ass killer. Allways hearing about how mean oscars are. Agressiveness is a term of relativity. Sure an oscar may kill you mollies and goldfish but thier not that mean. I like oscars but thay are way over rated.

these are the ones i hear the most. The first one is the one that really bugs me the most though whenever i hear people say that. :swear:

nick

Candiru
MFK Member
May 1, 2005
meriden ,ct
id liek to add one ive heard over at ww and other dumb sites (dont quote me on that :) )

cichlids feeding- i was told time and time again cichlids go dormant at nigth and dont fight/eat during these hours

ive watched them on several hundred occassions and i think there more active when the lights go off

Mourinho18

Caquetaia man
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2005
somewhere
i don't know. Each and everyone of my cichlids go dormant when the lights go off, and for about 10 minutes after the lights have been turned on. My personal experiences though. :)

MaJiKTeRRoR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2005
Illinois
My Fronts are more active with the lights off. There is alot of things the average hobbyist doesn't know. I for one didn't know what classified a fish as a cichlid. Now I do if I ever go on jeopardy I'll be straight.

Mourinho18

Caquetaia man
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2005
somewhere
MaJiKTeRRoR said:
Now I do if I ever go on jeopardy I'll be straight.

:grinno:, you'll be the next ken jennings with this new info :ROFL:

SinisterKisses

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2005
Ornatapinnis said:
Cichlid food; There is no such thing as a food that is correct for all cichlids. Thier dietary needs are radically veried. Some are hard core meat eaters, some are vegetarians, many fit somewhere in the middle. THis is at fault mostly of the fish food makers but hobbiest should know better. Suprisingly many don't.

African cichlids; man, this is a big subject full of misconceptions in it self. Even within the same lake these fish have a broad range of personalities, sizes and dietary needs. People still keep them all together, feed them feeders and meaty food because "mean fish are meat eaters" and "they like that kind of food". Fact is many of the malawi and tanginician fish that are commonly kept are vegitarians

Cichlids don't care about ph; Just because a cichlid (or any fish for that matter) is alive does not mean it is in it's correct enviroment and is happy. I realise that many fish will adjust to values other than where they came from but in most cases they will do better in an enviroment similar to what would have been natural to them. I guess the reason I brought this up is because I saw where someone had stated that thier cichlids were in a ph of 8.0 and were doing good so there for that must be the right ph for them. Didn't sound like any research was done to come to this conclusion other than they lived so it must be right. Very bad practice....bad advise to be offering to people.

I'm sure that's there's tons more, lets hear some other views and myths that need addressed.
Finally, thank you for having some sense! This site is great when it comes to large predator fish, but honestly, the complete lack of respect for a fish's (namely, African cichlids) natural and physical needs - such as proper feeding and proper pH and water hardness - drives me insane.

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
Yup seen alot with the pH thing - you would be suprised the different ranges they live in - pretty much anything they are pretty hardy fish.

I agree but I do think that with the food issue it is not always (hence the not always) the case that it will die due to different types of feeding methods. From my *own experience* I've had my Africans from 1inch they are all about 4 and 5 inches now and are healthy and virbantly colored. I have not lost any Africans to feeding problems, I feed them all new life pellets and yes they may be healthy - no some are not on the proper diet but have adjusted fine to the pellets. If this were always (hence the always) true then alot of mine should have died awhile ago. That does not mean you are right and I am wrong or you are wrong and I am right, but through my own experience I think it depends on weather or not the fish can adapt to the different foods it is fed and I have a small theory that some extremes of carnis or vegies can survive off pellets or flakes b/c it has been what they were adapted to after many years of being bread(however you would word that) and raised in fish farms or lfs. Some agree some dont, but I really dont think it is 100% true a cichlid will die due to dietary change. (yes its personal opnion - and gained through personal experience...that's all so please dont think I am saying your wrong and I am right or the other way around b/c I am not!)

Ornatapinnis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2005
Dayton Ohio
I remembered a few more;

It's Cichlid pronouced "sick-lid" not "chick- lit" like the gum. And brichardi is pronounced "bree - shar - die" not bicardi like the rum.

Ash; please please please don't think I'm picking on you 'cause I'm not but....(the B.S. is always after the but) I think your basing your opinion about feeding and general care for cichlids on a relativly small number of cichlids that you own or have owned. I don't know what all cichlids you have (or have had) but it looks like you have mostly pseudo's and melanochromis and not a large number of them. These fish will live thru just about anything, I like them but it really doesn't take any skill level to keep them. Boy that sounded Sh*ty of me but it's true. My point is people are going to be looking to you for advise, your the "expert", espcially now that you work in a shop. If you tell someone this advise and they kill a fish over it or for that matter you buy a really cool fish and it dies because of improper diet, that's going to really suck. It is my hope that this forum may help prevent such a happening. Have the shop you work at order in some baby Dimidichromis Compressiceps, or Sc. Ahli or a tropheus specie like doiboisi or even a non african like Haitiensis and feed them the "cichlid" diet your currently feeding, it will be a dissapointing. Again, I'm not picking on you, please don't be mad. My intention is to share experiance, not to insult or cut anyone down. I did all kind of things that may not have been the best when I started into this hobby, (over 25 years ago) man I sound old. I've done it wrong before, I hope to help prevent others from making the same mistakes I allready have....

:)
Joel

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
Suprsingly I have alot more then 2 Africans lol - That was taken awhile ago, those were what I started out with. I got alot more Africans, in another tank I got SA/CA and then I got other tanks with Acient fish, Catfish blah blah. My digi cam died so I cant really take anymore pics =( I know and understand not all Africans are like this, my home and lfs are kept seprate I have a sheet that will tell me what to do with each fish and I am allowed to not sell someone a fish if they cannot properly care for it. I dont mean it directed either its just a general thing that bug's me. I have issues with people telling me my fish are going to die, when they are not (I am just going to keep it short ^_^ ). I ve been kinda grr like an evil spawn like this week so sorry if I sound really mean I dont mean to be. plus I dont like making war, the evil spawn likes making friends :D ....ahhh anyways...

My mom does that she pronounce it sickie-lit its kinda funny.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store