Cichlid won't eat

AviB

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2012
www.youtube.com
I recently added two peacock bass ( 20cm & 15cm) to a 250g tank populated with central american cichlids. They are active and look great. One problem.. the smaller one won't eat! it's been a few days and it won't eat anything (neither dry cichlids food pellet nor frozen shrimps). According to the seller (private breeder) it ate dry cichlids food pellet . What can I do to get it to eat...it taste all foods but spit it out.. r? please help

Reactions: Green Baron

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
How long have they been in the tank?
It sometimes takes cichlids a long time in a new situation, maybe a month.
Also, what type of Central Americans are they housed with?
Being South American species, the normal aggressiveness of Central American tank mates may be too intimidating for the smaller Cichla.
In S America, Cichla are at the top of the cichlid dominance chain, but Central Americans are on an entirely more heightened state of hyper dominance.
I try not to mix Central Americans with Amazonian South Americans for this reason, and that Amazonian species are a type which don't come from the same water chemistry parameters as the hard water Central and North American.
Just an observation that may or may not be relevant.
Here in Panama Cichla are an invasive in Lake Gatun, and have done quite well, but never attain the size they do in the Amazon, only about half.

lunsforj

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2009
corvallis, OR
I agree with Duanes. All cichla I've owned don't do well if there is much pushback at all. They like being top of the aggression chain. A lot of centrals are bruisers that are constantly trying to move fish out of their territory, which in a lot of cases, is the whole tank.

On a sidenote, any theory as to why the cichla don't obtain their huge size there in Panama? Water chemistry? Available prey species? Year around temperature?

Reactions: Covetous

AviB

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2012
www.youtube.com
How long have they been in the tank?
It sometimes takes cichlids a long time in a new situation, maybe a month.
Also, what type of Central Americans are they housed with?
Being South American species, the normal aggressiveness of Central American tank mates may be too intimidating for the smaller Cichla.
In S America, Cichla are at the top of the cichlid dominance chain, but Central Americans are on an entirely more heightened state of hyper dominance.
I try not to mix Central Americans with Amazonian South Americans for this reason, and that Amazonian species are a type which don't come from the same water chemistry parameters as the hard water Central and North American.
Just an observation that may or may not be relevant.
Here in Panama Cichla are an invasive in Lake Gatun, and have done quite well, but never attain the size they do in the Amazon, only about half.
It is 5 days in the tank and here are its aquamates... thinking food is coming....

Reactions: Covetous

Covetous

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
Cool tank, I don’t see a lot of aggression going on. And while both comments above are completely valid.

If it were me I would try garlic guard soaked pellets, or vita chem to get him liking it.

If that doesn’t work You may want to try to do some Epsom salt treatments to the food maybe he has abit of hex. Have you noticed any white stringy poop? Sometimes I’ve seen fish do the chomp and spit when they have hex.

If not maybe it’s just as the two said above just stressed. Good luck

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The pH and conductivity on Lake Gatun fluctuates wildly at times because of the on/off influence of sea water with daily operation of the Panama canal, and the influx of more alkaline waters of the Central American rivers entering the lake (pH often hits 9.00+), and torrential rains (lower pH).
So this rather high pH may be growth inhibiting.
The P bass have eliminated many of the endemic cichlids by eating their fry.
We have a yearly P bass jamboree here, to try and keep the numbers down.

OP ... Your tank looks very tranquil, probably because its ver crowded, there is no opportunity for territory to be carved out, it looks large.
It may just be an acclamation issue that takes time.

Last edited:

AviB

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2012
www.youtube.com
Cool tank, I don’t see a lot of aggression going on. And while both comments above are completely valid.

If it were me I would try garlic guard soaked pellets, or vita chem to get him liking it.

If that doesn’t work You may want to try to do some Epsom salt treatments to the food maybe he has abit of hex. No lesions appear on the head and flanks of the fish Have you noticed any white stringy poop? No poop Sometimes I’ve seen fish do the chomp and spit when they have hex.

If not maybe it’s just as the two said above just stressed. Good luck
Thank you. will wait a bit more.. if it won't eat by then i'II take it out and try the vita chem treatment

AviB

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2012
www.youtube.com
The pH and conductivity on Lake Gatun fluctuates wildly at times because of the on/off influence of sea water with daily operation of the Panama canal, and the influx of more alkaline waters of the Central American rivers entering the lake (pH often hits 9.00+), and torrential rains (lower pH).
So this rather high pH may be growth inhibiting.
The P bass have eliminated many of the endemic cichlids by eating their fry.
We have a yearly P bass jamboree here, to try and keep the numbers down.

OP ... Your tank looks very tranquil, probably because its ver crowded, there is no opportunity for territory to be carved out, it looks large.
It may just be an acclamation issue that takes time. I hope so !!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store