Cichlids breed like crazy

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
I have kept cichlids before but never had a problem with them breeding too much lol. I have a mix cichlid tank and they are breeding like crazy I have 5 pregnant females right now and it just keeps going. Me and my wife have spent probably over 5 hours each trying to catch the pregnant fish but because my tank is so big I cannot catch them with a net, i have to use a trap. It has a door that u pull fishing line and drop the front door.

Is there something I can do to give the fry a fighting chance in the DT? Or do I need to try and take them out everytime. I know some people will say it is just mother Nature but I don't feel that way because in nature some fry would survive and the first batch did not they were dispatch very quickly. It bothers me knowing a fish goes 20 days or more without food so they can have aroumd the same odds as in the wild.

20200801_113310.jpg

20200801_113257.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
I have given up trying to save fry. Actually gone the other way and set up my tank so that they do get eaten. However if you would like some to survive I would suggest a layer of lava rock or Mexican rock available at any Home Depot. Even a pile of these kinds of rock will provide ample space for the fry to hide. I used to have a 55 that my substrate was about 3 inches of lava rock. It was kind of fun to see all the fry swimming “under” the substrate.

Reactions: tlindsey and Tj203

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
In nature some fry would survive, but they aren't trapped in a small box with dozens of hungry fish.
If you really want them to survive, yes I am afraid you will have to keep catching the females. A few might survive each spawn with no effort made, but the majority would be eaten pretty quickly.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store