Cichlids in the wild

Wisconsinbadger

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2013
Milwaukee wisconsin
Do cichlids in the wild say full grown jags oscars butti any large cichlids have any natural predators? Does a 12-16 inch cichlid really have any natural predators might be a dumb question but just curious.

Freshwaterpredators

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
The Grotto
Do cichlids in the wild say full grown jags oscars butti any large cichlids have any natural predators? Does a 12-16 inch cichlid really have any natural predators might be a dumb question but just curious.
Oh yeah, people, crocs, birds, animals, pending where they live other fish,

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The pic below is from a cenote on Riviera Maya in Mexico, the cenotes in the area are full of Jack Dempseys, uropthalmus, other cichlids, some catfish, and live bearers.

I have also seen turtles, other reptiles, and heard of people seeing otters, and other mammals that hunt after dark.

click to watch below

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
There are some SERIOUS raptors in S. America. Raptors being birds of prey--hawks, eagles, falcons although I don't think there's any falcons in the jungle. Also wildcats. And snakes. Then in Africa, there's all kinds of predators that like big fish. Puddles and streams dry up making them easy to catch, too.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Cichlids are rarely on the top of the food chain. They are mostly eaten by other lager fish, reptiles, mammals and birds. Dovii and emperor cichlids are maybe the closest, but still have crocks to worry about. South American cichlids have a much more dangerous life. Even large pbass fall prey to large fish, piranha and more. The Amazon and all of the other rivers even get bull sharks.i wouldn't want to be a SA cichlid in my next life lol.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store