make sure theres nothing on them as in old cement and what not

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
As with every aspect of the hobby, research first before risking anything 'new' in your aquariums. If something doesn't look completely safe, you may wish to rethink the item before testing it on prized specimens. I've used well-aged and weathered cinderblocks in many of my larger tanks before. But, because of additives that are being used today to offset material cost increases, I won't ever try new blocks in with my better stock. I'd rather spend a little more and use inert fired clay pots. Here's some info I found on the 'net:

Concrete block: Is a mixture of powdered portland cement, water, sand, and gravel. This produces a light gray block with a fine surface texture and a high compressive strength. A typical concrete block weighs 38-43 lb (17.2-19.5 kg). In general, the concrete mixture used for blocks has a higher percentage of sand and a lower percentage of gravel and water than the concrete mixtures used for general construction purposes. This produces a very dry, stiff mixture that holds its shape when it is removed from the block mold.

Cinder block: Is a mixture of granulated coal residue or volcanic cinders used instead of sand and gravel. This produces a dark gray block with a medium-to-coarse surface texture, good strength, good sound-deadening properties, and a higher thermal insulating value than a concrete block. A typical cinder block weighs 26-33 lb (11.8-15.0 kg).

Lightweight concrete block: Is made by replacing the sand and gravel with expanded clay, shale, or slate. Expanded clay, shale, and slate are produced by crushing the raw materials and heating them to about 2000°F (1093°C). At this temperature the material bloats, or puffs up, because of the rapid generation of gases caused by the combustion of small quantities of organic material trapped inside. A typical light-weight block weighs 22-28 lb (10.0-12.7 kg) and is used to build non-load-bearing walls and partitions. Expanded blast furnace slag, as well as natural volcanic materials such as pumice and scoria, are also used to make lightweight blocks.

In addition to the basic components, the concrete mixture used to make blocks may also contain various chemicals, called admixtures, to alter curing time, increase compressive strength, or improve workability. The mixture may have pigments added to give the blocks a uniform color throughout, or the surface of the blocks may be coated with a baked-on glaze to give a decorative effect or to provide protection against chemical attack. The glazes are usually made with a thermosetting resinous binder, silica sand, and color pigments. Admixture components/chemicals vary due to available resources and are usually not listed by any specific manufacturer.
Concrete mix has differences to cinder/cement blocks. Block manufacturers are free to employ additional "ädditives" as binders/strengtheners to their admixture. And, they're not required to list which additives have been used.

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
State of chaos
Don't use the kind with holes in it. I recently read a topic that sait that a few Clown Loaches and a Pleco were stuck in a hole in a Cinderblock and died. It is also not suitable for soft-bellied species like Plecos with no adipose fin, (these species have a soft belly) Catfish, and Stingrays.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store