clams mussels and oysters

Jeox

" I got monkeys in me! "
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2006
I was thinking or setting up a tiny little tank with a clam a mussel and an oyster , all three just being run of the mill supermarket kinds) How much salt would need to be added per liter of water? Also what do there eat?

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
You will need cold water at full seawater strength (sg 1.025) using sea water mix, and you will need lots of liquid fry food or reef keepers food or green water infusoria. Not an easy project.

GS-Rock

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2006
oklahoma
clams are good in slumps because thay eat micro algee (algee blooms) and other small stuff, its like having a UV filter but only cheaper, mussels imo are not good they attach themselfs to everything including outgoing pump inlet and stop the flow of things and make your tank water bad, but thats just what happend to me it might work out better for you

DeLgAdO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
Chula Vista, CA (San Diego)
www.myspace.com
GS-Rock said:
clams are good in slumps because thay eat micro algee (algee blooms) and other small stuff, its like having a UV filter but only cheaper, mussels imo are not good they attach themselfs to everything including outgoing pump inlet and stop the flow of things and make your tank water bad, but thats just what happend to me it might work out better for you
but like gupps said, they need cold water

they wont survive in a tropical tank

Jeox

" I got monkeys in me! "
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2006
This seems pretty complicated.. I probibly shouldn't do it unless I get a big tank with them in a sump..

Tai95

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2006
Buffalo
DeLgAdO said:
but like gupps said, they need cold water

they wont survive in a tropical tank
There are freshwater tropical clams, A person on aquabid sells them. I've never had them so I don't know a thing about them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store