MFK Member
Jan 5, 2020
Elmwood, Wi

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Never bred him eh? Can usually tell by how large the head is.

Bump a few of his threads so we can take another look! Curious to see his growth. I cant wait to raise up a fry lol!
O no I already bred him that's how I got these 2 lil ladies. They are both his daughters. No he sadly past away last year from a swim bladder disease. Nah I just can't help but show him off from time to time, he was my big baby boy, he was about 10in when he passed away. The one female looks almost exactly like him other then her kok being much smaller while the other looks nothing like either parent.

cameringo_20200213_205217.jpg

cameringo_20200129_010708.jpg

Fishenvy

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2020
Elmwood, Wi
O no I already bred him that's how I got these 2 lil ladies. They are both his daughters. No he sadly past away last year from a swim bladder disease. Nah I just can't help but show him off from time to time, he was my big baby boy, he was about 10in when he passed away. The one female looks almost exactly like him other then her kok being much smaller while the other looks nothing like either parent.

View attachment 1405399

View attachment 1405400
Sweet! She's a hottie bro. Zz are sweet because they get so big. I had one for 4 years. Had him since he was only 1 year. He grew to a whopping 16" tip to tip.

Did you eventually get another male?

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Sweet! She's a hottie bro. Zz are sweet because they get so big. I had one for 4 years. Had him since he was only 1 year. He grew to a whopping 16" tip to tip.

Did you eventually get another male?
Sadly not yet. Been looking but getting harder to find them locally lately. Been looking online a bit and seen a few nice ones for sale but most are just out of my price range. Lol it doesn't help that I need one roughly 6-8in in length just to be even with the big girl. She pushing 6.5-7in atm while he sister is roughly 4-4.5in. just looking at the 2 you'd never even know they had the same parents let alone were from the same batch of fry.

Reactions: Fishenvy

Fishenvy

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2020
Elmwood, Wi
Sadly not yet. Been looking but getting harder to find them locally lately. Been looking online a bit and seen a few nice ones for sale but most are just out of my price range. Lol it doesn't help that I need one roughly 6-8in in length just to be even with the big girl. She pushing 6.5-7in atm while he sister is roughly 4-4.5in. just looking at the 2 you'd never even know they had the same parents let alone were from the same batch of fry.
Well that's one of the reasons I like breeding, watching all the fry grow into completely different looking fish. You never know what your gonna get lol

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Well that's one of the reasons I like breeding, watching all the fry grow into completely different looking fish. You never know what your gonna get lol
O yeah lol never knew the mother was part fader untill I bred her and got all these fry that were half white and half colored. Only got the one tho that was solid white and she's been recently gaining more of a gold/pink color lately. She is very slowly turning into a gorgeous fish with a ton of attitude. Her big sis on the other hand seems to be really shy and skittish with only a couple of faded spot on the edges of her fins. O btw this is their mother I mentioned. She was a mean fish.

IMG_20191218_200049845_HDR.jpg

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
How did he get swim bladder?
Not certain how it happened. He just stopped eating one day and was bloated. Treated him for a month with Epsom salt bathes and he just kept getting worse (I originally thought it was constipation). And eventually he just couldn't keep balance anymore and by the time I realized my mistake and had the proper treatment it was already too late.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Wait both of those are his daughters?? That beast with the head is a female??

Had to read that a few times to catch what you said.. geez I thought that was him!! Lmfao
Hahaha yeah I thought it was male at first too so I never bothered with venting until recently. And that's when I found out he was a she instead.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store