Classic Zz. Bring em out!

Fishenvy

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2020
Elmwood, Wi
Not certain how it happened. He just stopped eating one day and was bloated. Treated him for a month with Epsom salt bathes and he just kept getting worse (I originally thought it was constipation). And eventually he just couldn't keep balance anymore and by the time I realized my mistake and had the proper treatment it was already too late.
When I used to keep bluegill and pumpkinseeds a few would get it randomly. I'm trying to think what happend leading upto it.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
When I used to keep bluegill and pumpkinseeds a few would get it randomly. I'm trying to think what happend leading upto it.
Only thing I remember happening before it all happened was he gave himself a small cut on his kok while chasing his wife around one day.

Reactions: Fishenvy

Fishenvy

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2020
Elmwood, Wi
Only thing I remember happening before it all happened was he gave himself a small cut on his kok while chasing his wife around one day.
My seeds got it instantly if they jumped out of the water for any amount of time. Even if I was able to nurse them back and get them swimming normally. Within a day or two of eating again they would keel over and die.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
My seeds got it instantly if they jumped out of the water for any amount of time. Even if I was able to nurse them back and get them swimming normally. Within a day or two of eating again they would keel over and die.
Huh, weird. I know sunfish all are very delicate fish when it comes to breathing but never heard of something like that. Yeah Jr. always had a hard time eating because of his big kok. It pushed all the food away from him before he could reach it half of the time. Tried feeding him guppies from time to time but he could care less about them being there. His wife gladly ate them tho lol. I know the smallest daughter is just a pig when it comes to live food. She'll try to eat 3-4 wax worms at the same time.

Fishenvy

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2020
Elmwood, Wi
Those darn gills would never stay in the tank. Lol when I upgraded my 55 to a 75. There were mummified gills just hanging out under the stand.. Most of the ones I'd keep were 5" or above so I dont know if that made a diff.

The trouble of having a big kok.. I had a ZZ back in the day with a kok the size of a grapefruit. Bought him from Total fish & pets in LA California for 800..

He would have to almost turn upside down to eat. So I had to get the sinking pellets. But that wasn't until a few months by and seeing him eat was embarrassing lol..

These tank raised fish are just picky eh?

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Those darn gills would never stay in the tank. Lol when I upgraded my 55 to a 75. There were mummified gills just hanging out under the stand.. Most of the ones I'd keep were 5" or above so I dont know if that made a diff.

The trouble of having a big kok.. I had a ZZ back in the day with a kok the size of a grapefruit. Bought him from Total fish & pets in LA California for 800..

He would have to almost turn upside down to eat. So I had to get the sinking pellets. But that wasn't until a few months by and seeing him eat was embarrassing lol..

These tank raised fish are just picky eh?
Lol yeah i've had a few that were extremely picky. Jr. was one of them. He refused to eat anything besides hikari gold large floating pellets, nightcrawlers or ground up smelt/scallops/shrimp. Anything else and he wouldn't even bother with it. Only fish I had that was pickier then him was my ornate bichir, he only ate shrimp pellets.

Fishenvy

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2020
Elmwood, Wi
Lol yeah i've had a few that were extremely picky. Jr. was one of them. He refused to eat anything besides hikari gold large floating pellets, nightcrawlers or ground up smelt/scallops/shrimp. Anything else and he wouldn't even bother with it. Only fish I had that was pickier then him was my ornate bichir, he only ate shrimp pellets.
Yea man. I've seen some fish only eat what they were raised on or even what they prefer. For trickier eaters.. I would often put a divider in place or by keeping my tanks close enough that they could see each other. More times than not, that helped them become little piggys..

ATM, I feed my fish.. emphasize atm..looking for a better over protein pellet..

Hikari gold, freeze dried krill & shrimp, frozen blood worms, freeze dried blood worms & fresh raw market shrimp.

I found that if one fish seen another eat a particular food. He or she would do the same.

But your female fader ZZ with my fader bonsai ZZ would be a perfect match brotha!

Let's setup a playdate. ??

20200213_235316.jpg

20200213_235254.jpg

20200213_235242.jpg

20200213_235237.jpg

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Yea man. I've seen some fish only eat what they were raised on or even what they prefer. For trickier eaters.. I would often put a divider in place or by keeping my tanks close enough that they could see each other. More times than not, that helped them become little piggys..

ATM, I feed my fish.. emphasize atm..looking for a better over protein pellet..

Hikari gold, freeze dried krill & shrimp, frozen blood worms, freeze dried blood worms & fresh raw market shrimp.

I found that if one fish seen another eat a particular food. He or she would do the same.

But your female fader ZZ with my fader bonsai ZZ would be a perfect match brotha!

Let's setup a playdate. ??

View attachment 1405404

View attachment 1405405

View attachment 1405408

View attachment 1405409
Gotta say he does have some nice finnage. Surprised you can even keep live plants with that beast. Jr. always killed mine lol. Still waiting on these 2 ladies to have some eggs. The bigger one has been cleaning her slate allot lately so hopefully she's not too far off.

Fishenvy

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2020
Elmwood, Wi
Gotta say he does have some nice finnage. Surprised you can even keep live plants with that beast. Jr. always killed mine lol. Still waiting on these 2 ladies to have some eggs. The bigger one has been cleaning her slate allot lately so hopefully she's not too far off.
Thanks! If he had more red and a bigger head he would be awesome. But I'll work on that. Only had him a few weeks.

What temp are you keeping them at? Have you tried to induced egg laying?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store