Classic Zz. Bring em out!

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Thanks! If he had more red and a bigger head he would be awesome. But I'll work on that. Only had him a few weeks.

What temp are you keeping them at? Have you tried to induced egg laying?
I usually keep them at 80°F. Not quite sure what you mean by that? I usually tend to let nature take its course.

Fishenvy

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2020
Elmwood, Wi
I usually keep them at 80°F. Not quite sure what you mean by that? I usually tend to let nature take its course.
They say that females like to lay eggs at temps around 82 degrees. So with my breeders I keep them all at 82.. waited.

Month goes by.. check the thermostats.. they aren't malfunctioning. Its 82.. decided to keep waiting.. it gets cold outside and I decide to turn up the heat to 84 compensating for it being -15 outside.

The next day, all of my females.... literally all of them had either laid eggs, was about to lay eggs or was trying to lay eggs but were too young...

Not sure if I stumbled on to the mystery secret or it happend to be the full moon.. but now I've got fader fry... go figure..

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
They say that females like to lay eggs at temps around 82 degrees. So with my breeders I keep them all at 82.. waited.

Month goes by.. check the thermostats.. they aren't malfunctioning. Its 82.. decided to keep waiting.. it gets cold outside and I decide to turn up the heat to 84 compensating for it being -15 outside.

The next day, all of my females.... literally all of them had either laid eggs, was about to lay eggs or was trying to lay eggs but were too young...

Not sure if I stumbled on to the mystery secret or it happend to be the full moon.. but now I've got fader fry... go figure..
Huh, might havto try that out. Honestly need to get a bigger heater for my big tank. It's been having a hard time keeping up with the cold here lately. Also it might be a bit early for the bigger one, she stopped eating after I rehomed her mother (for about 2 weeks) and just recently started eating again so she probably needs to fatten up a bit first. She seems so bored now that she has no one to fight with 24/7 lol.

Reactions: Fishenvy

Fishenvy

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2020
Elmwood, Wi
Huh, might havto try that out. Honestly need to get a bigger heater for my big tank. It's been having a hard time keeping up with the cold here lately. Also it might be a bit early for the bigger one, she stopped eating after I rehomed her mother (for about 2 weeks) and just recently started eating again so she probably needs to fatten up a bit first. She seems so bored now that she has no one to fight with 24/7 lol.
No kidding. That literally saved my King kamfa from what I thought was him dying. He showed no signs of disease or discomfort. He just always sat at the bottom of the tank since I got him.

I wasn't gonna medicate him that's for sure. He didn't have any white poop. In fact there was no poop. He wasn't eating. But I seen him eat at the LFS before I took him home.

Weeks went by, realized my heater wasn't keeping my 75 gallon warm enough and I didn't have enough water flow so there were hot and cold spots.

Once I got all that situated. He started eating, not much but he ate and that made me very pleased.

After about a week of that I decided to put a mirror in front of his tank for a few minutes. He would love it for about 5 minutes then lose interest and go back to laying down by the mirror!!! Arggh!!

So I decided after that.. ok. I know he doesn't have a disease. He showed no interest in a males face.. I took a wild guess and went and searched for a female parrot. Ended up finding a beauty for 30$.

Got home put her in the tank... boy!!

He swam up and fanned her like crazy! Ever since that day hes been a fat little piggy. Eating whatever you give him. As a test, I would periodically take her out to check out his mood. Within a few hours hes bored and laying at the bottom...

Once you get a taste of women, nothing else comes close.. am I right?

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
No kidding. That literally saved my King kamfa from what I thought was him dying. He showed no signs of disease or discomfort. He just always sat at the bottom of the tank since I got him.

I wasn't gonna medicate him that's for sure. He didn't have any white poop. In fact there was no poop. He wasn't eating. But I seen him eat at the LFS before I took him home.

Weeks went by, realized my heater wasn't keeping my 75 gallon warm enough and I didn't have enough water flow so there were hot and cold spots.

Once I got all that situated. He started eating, not much but he ate and that made me very pleased.

After about a week of that I decided to put a mirror in front of his tank for a few minutes. He would love it for about 5 minutes then lose interest and go back to laying down by the mirror!!! Arggh!!

So I decided after that.. ok. I know he doesn't have a disease. He showed no interest in a males face.. I took a wild guess and went and searched for a female parrot. Ended up finding a beauty for 30$.

Got home put her in the tank... boy!!

He swam up and fanned her like crazy! Ever since that day hes been a fat little piggy. Eating whatever you give him. As a test, I would periodically take her out to check out his mood. Within a few hours hes bored and laying at the bottom...

Once you get a taste of women, nothing else comes close.. am I right?
Haha yeah true that. Yeah my big girl, her only interest atm is the betta living next door to her but he's only active when someone comes up and puts a finger on the glass. Had a glow tetra in with her for a week before she got bored and killed it the other day. Only reason he ended up with her was because he kept harassing my new angelfish. Same with the 3 kirbensis the smaller girl had in her tank before she ate 2 of em. Still got the third but she's learned to respect the FH lol.

But yeah I'll definitely have to bump up the temp in the tanks and see what happens.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA

Change in temperature, water are effective, even sprinkling water for few fish does the trick.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store