Clawed frog behavior

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Can anyone tell me what type of behavior this is? I’ve had both frogs since about an inch and a half and been seeing this a lot lately. (The mussel in the back is not live, I found it that way at the creek and cleaned it for decoration)697FE271-7F23-45A1-9C19-448F298A5A64.jpeg

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Its...about...to go... down... ??... really don’t know for sure... but a simple google search of “xenopus frog breeding” brings up several similiar pics...

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Its...about...to go... down... ??... really don’t know for sure... but a simple google search of “xenopus frog breeding” brings up several similiar pics...
So it’s possible they’re breeding? They’re like this almost all day every day

Reactions: tlindsey

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Yes absolutely I forgot the term for the loop like swimming.
Is there any specific conditions I should give them? I’m actually extremely excited for this. I have an extra 29g I can fill halfway with water and add an extra heater and filter if needed. I’ve never bred any animal but always wanted to. Any advice please.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Is there any specific conditions I should give them? I’m actually extremely excited for this. I have an extra 29g I can fill halfway with water and add an extra heater and filter if needed. I’ve never bred any animal but always wanted to. Any advice please.
Don't bother them the conditions are right for them now. If they start swimming in a loop look for eggs to be released but fertilized by male.

Reactions: Rtc/tsn

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Don't bother them the conditions are right for them now. If they start swimming in a loop look for eggs to be released but fertilized by male.
Had a pair of Dwarf African Clawed frogs breed in a ten gallon. It was just a male and female no tankmates. Tried to hatch a few eggs but unsuccessful.

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
I just want to go on the record and say I do NOT support breeding them atm. You don’t have a ton of space and they can lay hundreds of even thousands of eggs. Selling them all is gonna SUCK. Or even just get rid of them.

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Had a pair of Dwarf African Clawed frogs breed in a ten gallon. It was just a male and female no tankmates. Tried to hatch a few eggs but unsuccessful.
I looked it up and it said it was uncommon for them to be bred in captivity but I think this will be a fun little project

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store