Cleaner fish recommendations for eel tank?

Polyptasaurus

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2009
New York
My tank has 3 “tulip eels” (monopterus Albus) and they will eat anything they can. So Cory cats are off limits. Chinese algae eaters will eventually get eaten due to size. Any suggestions for a too-large-to-eat, bottom-feeding cleaner fish? My royal pleco is useless....

8D20C3AD-80F9-4C03-BEAF-D1FA4A7589B3.jpeg

C58A773C-6E8C-4A7C-A4B4-6887DABE037A.jpeg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Large ancistrus pleco perhaps or maybe they’d ignore otocinclus. How big are the eels?

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Need a plec which is NOT a wood eater. So bristlenose will work, as would gibbiceps although may grow too large.
Depends what you mean by cleaner fish though. Most plecs create more waste than the cleaning job they do is worth. If you are looking for something to tidy leftover food then bristlenose would work but they may also get to food before the eels and barge them off it. Alternatively if you are looking for something to sift sand and keep it sweet then geophagus but you may have this covered.

Reactions: tlindsey

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
So I see hecklii in the background, are they not eating the scraps from the bottom? Maybe the gravel is preventing them from sifting, and a switch to sand (#20 mesh size like pool filter sand) would help them sift the bottom for scraps?

Polyptasaurus

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2009
New York
So I see hecklii in the background, are they not eating the scraps from the bottom? Maybe the gravel is preventing them from sifting, and a switch to sand (#20 mesh size like pool filter sand) would help them sift the bottom for scraps?
I have three of them and they do move the gravel around, but that’s not enough. They can’t possibly get all of the scraps.

Polyptasaurus

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2009
New York
Need a plec which is NOT a wood eater. So bristlenose will work, as would gibbiceps although may grow too large.
Depends what you mean by cleaner fish though. Most plecs create more waste than the cleaning job they do is worth. If you are looking for something to tidy leftover food then bristlenose would work but they may also get to food before the eels and barge them off it. Alternatively if you are looking for something to sift sand and keep it sweet then geophagus but you may have this covered.
Each one is almost 18 inches. I also have a fire reel in there as well. So four eels technically.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
I have three of them and they do move the gravel around, but that’s not enough. They can’t possibly get all of the scraps.
The gravel does make it harder than sand to sift for food, too much energy spent moving the gravel. If the hecklii are fed less, and the substrate is easier to go through, there's a good chance they will get much more scraps.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Crayfish are good gravel sifters, but I can’t imagine the cichlids or eels letting them live long.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store