Cleaning an old jacuzzi to stock with fish

Nabbig2

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 28, 2007
California
I have an old jacuzzi, about 10x6x6 feet and I want to stock it with a bunch of cool freshwater fish. However I need ideas on how to clean the damn thing. There's a lot of muddy water at the bottom and the damn pump does not work (stupid thing drains water from the top), I can't figure the best way to clean the last inch of muddy water. It's too shallow to be drained via hose. Here's a pic. Thanks!

IMG_20210122_164656.jpg

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
^ that would be my thought, rent a good shop vac. Could get that dried out in under an hour. Then would buy a few bottles of vinegar, soak the walls and scrub them best as you can. Rinse and repeat until it's clean enough.
Would be very cool, I don't remember ever seeing a stocked hot tub!

Reactions: Polypterus_36

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Wow, cool concept. Agree about the shop vac. If the stuffs too thick and muddy you might even have to shovel it out, then flush with water to vac.

You thinking about maybe some pond paint once its all cleaned up?

Nabbig2

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 28, 2007
California
Thanks for the replies. Also any ideas to keep it clean? I don't have the money for a large pump/filter and will be keeping some very sturdy fish regardless, but perhaps there are some kind of snails/coldwater fish that can help keep it tidy? It usually gets very dirty from all the sticks and branches flying in over the year (I will do as much maintenance as I can) but I want the water to be clear and visible.

Bluesandtwo

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2019
London UK
Thanks for the replies. Also any ideas to keep it clean? I don't have the money for a large pump/filter and will be keeping some very sturdy fish regardless, but perhaps there are some kind of snails/coldwater fish that can help keep it tidy? It usually gets very dirty from all the sticks and branches flying in over the year (I will do as much maintenance as I can) but I want the water to be clear and visible.
No fish or invert will 'clean it' for you. Get yourself a pond filter - if you want to keep it simple.. buy a 'all in one' drop in filter fountain - hozelock make them here in the UK. Or you could make your own trickle filter with a plant pot or water barrel hanging over the top and filled with media, drill some holes in it and have a pump send water up into it. I'd also suggest putting a net over the top to keep the leaves and branches from blowing on.

I think this could look awesome once cleaned up!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store