Cleaning Biomedia

spas

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2011
Mississauga, ON, Canada
Hey guys,

My 265 leaked back in March this year. I shut the tank down and didn't bother to clean my 2 2262's until today. I was a little turned off after the leak.

I'm looking at getting a replacement 300 gallon from custom aquariums so I decided to clean out the filters today. Oh man, when I popped the lids off it stank worse than a bucket of dirty diapers.

When I pulled the bio media bags out, I washed them thoroughly but noticed the siporax had turned black. I have approx 3 litres of siporax, 5 litres of seachem pond matrix and about 2 litres of the eheim bio balls.

Should i let the bio media soak in a 50/50 bleach/water and then rinse thoroughly or is just rinsing good enough?

Secondly, I noticed my eheim bag that holds the biomedia is getting a little old. What do you guys use as replacement bio bags?

Thanks,
Steve

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey guys,

My 265 leaked back in March this year. I shut the tank down and didn't bother to clean my 2 2262's until today. I was a little turned off after the leak.

I'm looking at getting a replacement 300 gallon from custom aquariums so I decided to clean out the filters today. Oh man, when I popped the lids off it stank worse than a bucket of dirty diapers.

When I pulled the bio media bags out, I washed them thoroughly but noticed the siporax had turned black. I have approx 3 litres of siporax, 5 litres of seachem pond matrix and about 2 litres of the eheim bio balls.

Should i let the bio media soak in a 50/50 bleach/water and then rinse thoroughly or is just rinsing good enough?

Secondly, I noticed my eheim bag that holds the biomedia is getting a little old. What do you guys use as replacement bio bags?

Thanks,
Steve

Personally I would just replace with new bio media.

NVTE

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2006
US
Turn black mean dead bateria. You can soak them with bleach and rinse them well and let it dry for day or 2 . I think they are fine to use.

Reactions: deeda

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I used bleach to sanitize tank. I discovered after setting up the first tank that a rinse alone is not enough. I dosed the tank with PRIME and all was fine.
I had soaked the gravel substrate in the bleach solution and suspect the spaces in between the gravel was still holding the bleach solution.
Anyway the Prime did the trick. I suspect other brands of water conditioner will do as well, I have only used PRIME however.

Jhay3513

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Hey guys,

Thanks,
Steve
My bio media bags from Walmart. $0.94 each
IMG_7345.JPG IMG_7431.JPG

Reactions: deeda and tlindsey

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Another option is the lingerie mesh bags as they are offered in various sizes and the mesh holes are a bit smaller. I use them for my 2260/2262 filters.

Reactions: tlindsey

spas

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2011
Mississauga, ON, Canada
Many Thanks for the reply's guys!!!

I will try soaking the biomedia in bleach water and rising and then soaking in fresh water with Prime.

My new tank will not arrive until Dec so I have lots of time....

Thanks for the tips on the laundry bags!!! Off to Walmart this week :)

Reactions: Jhay3513

Jhay3513

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Many Thanks for the reply's guys!!!

I will try soaking the biomedia in bleach water and rising and then soaking in fresh water with Prime.

My new tank will not arrive until Dec so I have lots of time....

Thanks for the tips on the laundry bags!!! Off to Walmart this week :)
For a canister you'll need no more than 2 of those bags. I made my media bags huge for my sump and made 3 from one laundry bag. I closed them off with zip ties. As my fish (Nandopsis Haitiensis) grow I plan to just keep adding media until the sump is filled with bio. I have matrix, ceramic rings, and lava rock in there currently
IMG_0236.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store