Cleaning up the polypterus stickies

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Good day everyone, your benevolent ancient fish mod here. The staff are trying to clean up the stickies around the forum, with the polypterus sub-forum being an example of a cluster of threads (18 in total).

I would like your opinion on what should be done with the sticky threads, I'm sure that several of them can be combined and others such as picture threads can be un-stickied. Another idea of mine is to keep all the important information stickied while keeping a sticky thread with links to picture threads (Eg "All fins up")

I need thoughts and suggestions from the poly gang. Thanks guys :)

Reactions: DMD123

sevs and sajicas for me

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2017
I'm a relative newbie to this subthread so keep that in mind, but my opinion is some of these stickies are over 10 years old. The "All Bichir (Polypterus) Species - updated" thread is probably the most current and best visual guide on all of the species? So the other stickies with older more out dated information can probably be un-stickied. Polypterus related social groups is a sticky with a bunch of dead links so that one can easily be eliminated. and stickies like polypterus of the month and buying bichirs online haven't been updated in over 10 years so i'm not sure those warrant stickies anymore. my opinion would be to create a stickie with links to all of the stickies you unsticky if people want to easily find them, but only leave the ones with pertinent information about the species (like the all bichir species i mentioned earlier but there are a few others as well), and the show off those polypterus and enclosure pic threads.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I'm a relative newbie to this subthread so keep that in mind, but my opinion is some of these stickies are over 10 years old. The "All Bichir (Polypterus) Species - updated" thread is probably the most current and best visual guide on all of the species? So the other stickies with older more out dated information can probably be un-stickied. Polypterus related social groups is a sticky with a bunch of dead links so that one can easily be eliminated. and stickies like polypterus of the month and buying bichirs online haven't been updated in over 10 years so i'm not sure those warrant stickies anymore. my opinion would be to create a stickie with links to all of the stickies you unsticky if people want to easily find them, but only leave the ones with pertinent information about the species (like the all bichir species i mentioned earlier but there are a few others as well), and the show off those polypterus and enclosure pic threads.
This is the sort of feedback I was looking for. Thanks!

TexasMFK31

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
Hendre Hendre I agree 100% on cleaning up the stickies. There are currently 5 that pertain to just pictures of polys the could easily be 1 ID thread as everyone (myself included) made a thread for my own tank inhabitants. The beginner primer is great and I still reference that for tank mate ideas and some basic knowledge. But yes, please lets knock down some stickies. Also, can we look at the gar species profile sticky? That is a nightmare to read due to what I assume was a forum upgrade and syntax.

Reactions: tlindsey

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Hendre Hendre I agree 100% on cleaning up the stickies. There are currently 5 that pertain to just pictures of polys the could easily be 1 ID thread as everyone (myself included) made a thread for my own tank inhabitants. The beginner primer is great and I still reference that for tank mate ideas and some basic knowledge. But yes, please lets knock down some stickies. Also, can we look at the gar species profile sticky? That is a nightmare to read due to what I assume was a forum upgrade and syntax.
I'll tackle the gar one next then! Thanks for the input :)

Reactions: kno4te

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
Archive's for outdated stickies and old threads with useful info. Beblonde stickies should be saved for the life of the Forum imo.
+1
1000% agree. All Beblondie stickies should remain. The polypterus primer and faqs are the gold standard of the Forum.

In addition, I like the first 4 stickies and the IDing normal behaviors and eating thread(haven’t looked at thread recently, but should contain info about not feeding too much shrimp due to thiamine). I know RD has great nutrition info.

if someone can post the new nomenclature article in the updated Bichir info sticky. That would be Helpful.

Hopefully some of the OGs will provide some input.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Digging up the thread, I have taken heed to some of the feedback here. Some threads will be combined (See the identification superthread) and then unstuck with reference to the original posts. Keeps the relevant information present without the noise from commentary, making way for a concise layout that can be repeated between stickies. Watch this space ;)

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Please read.

Reactions: Matteus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store