clear water

cichlidbuddy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2007
Groton, CT
well, my water is kinda cloudy in one of my tanks and i was wondering what i can do to make it clear? i have used a chemical in the past with no satisfactory results. also some of my fish died from it. thanks in advance for the help.

ziggy2

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
IL
What size tank and what kind of filtration do you have on it? What kind of stock do you have in it? How long has it been set up?

DasArab

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2007
Scotland
www.bloodparrots.co.uk
Unclear tanks are sometimes a sign that its not cycled properly. What you may be seeing is a bacterial bloom. What size of tank is it, what filtration is on it, how much and how often do you change water and service the filters?

cichlidbuddy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2007
Groton, CT
its a 10 gallon, filtration is an AC30 and a triangle sponge filter, 50% water change weekly. been set up for about 6 months, water params are 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrites, 5ppm nitrates, stocking is in signature.

Yakuza-Irezumi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
In a Tattoo Studio
DasArab;1229461; said:
OK if its planted it may be that you are changing too much water. Have you tried doing a bit less?
I agree,50% once a week on a ten gallon will wreak havoc on clarity.As the larger your body of water is,the more stable it will be.

Cohazard

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
How often do you service your filters?

I used to clean mine weekly, and the water was always had a slight cloud problem, but now that I've backed off and only service them once a month, the water is crystal.

HTH

cichlidbuddy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2007
Groton, CT
i dont do much to the filter. just check for clogs and build up. if needed, i swish the media around in some of the excess tank water. but it doesnt usually need that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store