clinoptilolite to remove ammonia. What do you know?

eddiegunks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2017
Tillson NY
Hello everyone,

I have natural occurring ammonia in my well water. This just happened recently. But it's making water change is extremely difficult. I have about .50 ppm.

My water system guy suggested I try this to remove the ammonia. It looks like it will work.

My question for you chemists is how does this work and will the byproduct Hurt my fish in anyway.

I plan to filter the water, and then use the water for water changes.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinoptilolite

Thank you. Eddie

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
This stuff is called "zeolite" in the hobby and can be purchased at most fish stores. It works fine and is safe for fish, but it might get expensive depending on your requirements.

If it were me, I'd store the new water in a tank with BB and then use it for the WC later. This, of course, will result in your WC water having higher nitrate levels, which can be brought down by growing a plant (e.g. Pothos) hydroponically with the water before sending it to your fish tank on WC day.

OR maybe setup a two-stage drip where the water passes through BB before being dripped into the tank. Your drip water will have non-zero levels of nitrate, but it will be constantly diluting what the fish produce.

Reactions: tlindsey

eddiegunks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2017
Tillson NY
Grinch Grinch

Thx. I bought a bag. Maybe 50 pounds. Cost me like $40. So not so bad. My guy said it should last months at least.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Just in case you decide to try it, .50 ppm isn't as large an issue if you do small WC. A small (10%) WC for example, will create water that is .05 ppm, which can be neutralized by Prime and then easily handled by BB. Obviously, large WC of 75% for example, are not good, especially, if you have fry, eggs or extremely sensitive fish.

I'd be careful with dosages but you can test it with your water before hand to make sure you use the correct amount. While it's a pain, a number of people do get ammonia out of their taps.

Last edited:

eddiegunks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2017
Tillson NY
Be careful. The use of salt will cause the zeolite to release the ammonia back into the water.
Really? If i treat my water before i add it to the tank, then add salt, the water will release ammonia?

I am not treating it in the tank.

If so, any way to avoid this?

Thx

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store