Cloud archerfish problem (Toxotes blythi)

erythrinus

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2011
california
A few months ago I purchased a group of cloud archer fish. I am a big fan of the genus and had never seen this species before. I bought a group of 15, since i did not know how many would survive the transition. Turns out they did well. The last 4 I got were the last of the group and sick (pity buy) but I saved 2 of them. All said I bought 15 and lost 3. They were about 2 cm when purchased and now they range from 4-7cm and eat very well.
This is supposedly a freshwater species from Myanmar. I'm pretty sure they were farmed since they were eating flakes from day one and had to learn to eat worms. I have them eating pellets, blackworms, brine, regular mealworms, crickets, and occasional guppy. Sinking foods not useful since they only eat at the top, so frozen foods are messy.
I have had a problem with them I can't figure out. I occasionally will see an individual develop puffed scales on their back, along with mucus and pink hue to the area. It is always just one fish, and when I take that individual out and quarantine in salt water, it heals up in a week. The damaged fish is usually swimming lower than the others when afflicted. The first two were small, so I thought it was aggression, but the most recent victims were big ones. I never see them fight (which is why I bought a group) but they do passively aggress each other when in quarantine together. The salt water always fixes it, and when two are in quarantine together, no new wounds arise. The big tank also contains 9 small datnoids (1") and a starry night eel but they are exclusively at the bottom. The tank is 50gal (and obviously temporary).
I'm most suspicious that this is aggression, but I also wonder if they may need some salt in the water, since salt water seems to fix it (usg about 1.005). Everything I read says they are not a brackish.
Otherwise they are really great. They loosely school and are very shy, but they beg for food and are out all the time. I have not gotten them to shoot yet, but I'm putting some branches in soon so they can target crickets better.
(pics coming next message)

erythrinus

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2011
california
Yes I have a bad feeling it is aggression. That is frustrating because with less than 6 individuals, there is more obvious bullying. I dont think the dats are causing the problem. They ignore the archers and stay at the bottom.
I think I'll try to split them off into two groups, maybe starting a new one with any that are injured. I don't understand why the aggression is not worse when 2 are in quarantine together. In that context, it is clear that one is dominant (ie - swims above the other) but they do not harm each other. That has made me wonder if their skin is more resistant to damage with salt in the water.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Yes I have a bad feeling it is aggression. That is frustrating because with less than 6 individuals, there is more obvious bullying. I dont think the dats are causing the problem. They ignore the archers and stay at the bottom.
I think I'll try to split them off into two groups, maybe starting a new one with any that are injured. I don't understand why the aggression is not worse when 2 are in quarantine together. In that context, it is clear that one is dominant (ie - swims above the other) but they do not harm each other. That has made me wonder if their skin is more resistant to damage with salt in the water.

I hope you get the issue resolved and things get back to normal.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I’d assume it’s aggression as well, @tlindey mentioned. Try multiple long plants that reach the top water to break the fish from getting to each other.

erythrinus

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2011
california
They are always in a tight school and i have never witnessed any aggression. Plants won't work because they don't spread out (theres plenty of space to spread out and hide if they want to). I was hoping someone might have some insight into this species (or genus), but given their recent appearance in the trade , i haven't found much. i am beginning to wonder if they do require brackish water, or perhaps a different pH (currently 7.0).

dyslexictadpole

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2018
I would agree with agression, I've had my solo clouded archer for years before they really became abundant in the trade and he is definatley agressive, even to other species, even if the aren't top dwelling fish (he harasses cichlids and peacock bass, both midwater swimmers) so it's no surprise they are agressive towards conspecifics.

Reactions: tlindsey

Bertie07

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2017
London
I think it might not be aggression, I have a solo one and he has had a couple ripped fins and scratch marks on him and at first I thought it was aggression from my JD but after a while I realised that the archer would spook and dart into something or even jump. Maybe the dats aren’t being aggressive but if they suddenly come to the surface and spook the archers it could cause these injuries.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store