Cloudy water for 3 months now, cant figure out why?

Arkangel77

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Carriere
ya - I gota try something...

Reactions: fishbum

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
Try carbon first to clear the water and see if it progress. If not check your tap it could be higher than normal cities love to do that. I had cloudy tank for a while and realized that each waterchsnge caused a mini cycle I upped my declorinator and it helped

Arkangel77

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Carriere
i have checked tap and I do overdose safe when I do water changes. As for carbon, I haven't used that in any of my aquariums for a decade now. Thanks for the Ideas.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Just keep in mind if you add a whole bunch of carbon to your cans and remove your seasoned bio media it can also kick off mini cycles, possibly just exacerbate the cloudy water issue. Carbon acts as bio as well as chemical media so it will also have to cycle. Probably best to add the carbon in some sort of auxiliary filter.

Arkangel77

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Carriere
I have ZERO canisters Right now. I have 2 Ultima 1000's and 2 LARGE sponge filters.

Thanks for the heads Up

Arkangel77

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Carriere
***NEW INFORMATION***

Just did a water testing. Its bin 1 week since last water change.
PH 6.6-6.4 - never bin that low b4 - EVER
Ammonia 0.0
Nitrate 0.0
Nitrite 0.0 ???
Phosphate 5ppm - this has not changes in a week! I tested right after water change.

The water is a little cloudy but its bin way worse in the past. I am skipping this weeks water change and going to monitor the perimeters and see what happens. This is the 1st time I have seen the PH drop below 7.5. I am stumped

Arkangel77

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Carriere
Ok guys, just a final note on this topic. I added some aragonite into the tank to buffer the PH. Seems my PH was dropping right b4 I did my water changes. I can only assume this has bin happening for a LONG time and that's why the tank was cloudy... It was in a constant cycle because of the PH dropping out. I am actually lucky, not sure how I did to loose all my fish with the ph jumping around as it was. I had tested the PH bunches of times B4 and just never seem to catch it... At the end of the day it was my screw up! Its almost perfectly clear now that I have stabilized the PH. Its getting better each day and started to improve at the end of last week. Thank you all for the help. Hopefully this will help someone else.

Feeding lots of fresh shrimp and tilapia to my predators seemed to be jacking with the PH. 1st time I have ever had this problem!

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I have a feeling you just answered the question to your problem...

Its most likely access feeding of talipa and shrimp causing a bacteria bloom from leftover food would be my first guess...

Try cutting back on the amount you feed or try and make sure each fish eats everything with no waste...

Arkangel77

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Carriere
I have a feeling you just answered the question to your problem...

Its most likely access feeding of talipa and shrimp causing a bacteria bloom from leftover food would be my first guess...

Try cutting back on the amount you feed or try and make sure each fish eats everything with no waste...
Thanks for the Input. However, the problem is resolved! It was a PH issue which is what I just posted lol. AS for your advice - I do that already =) but thanks

Reactions: Fat Homer
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store