Cloudy water, new 29 gallon

Kris P Bacon

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2018
GOD's country Arcadia Fl. Chasing mollies
Just a heads up.
I used pea gravel many years ago, and found the large interstitial spaces allowed detritus to slip between and underneath the gravel, creating anoxic pockets of grunge. These can be hard to vacuum out, and can produce hydrogen sulfide (which can make the tank smell like rotten eggs when they release), and can contribute to bacterial blooms even after the tank is cycled.
I prefer PFS that does trap fish feces, old food and other detritus, and is easier to vacuum off its surface when water changes are done.
I may take a good amount, out to facilitate easier cleaning. Just leave a small layer.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Tank is now crystal clear, hope it stays that way. My 5 gallon went from cloudy to clear in cycles. I understand water quality in bigger tank, is more stable?
It's easier to manage bigger tanks yes, I usually don't keep anything smaller than 20 gallons.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
test results for perams?

Kris P Bacon

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2018
GOD's country Arcadia Fl. Chasing mollies
OK, tank is now 11 days old, cloudiness is gone. All the mollies, mosquito fish, 12 grass shrimp and 3 (I think) fathead minnows, seem to be thriving. 0 mortality
The first few days, my biggest sail fin male, had a growth that looked like fuzzy white mold on his eye, fortunately that has gone away.
Are frequent water changes still needed? Can I get away with 10 gallons every 2 weeks?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
OK, tank is now 11 days old, cloudiness is gone. All the mollies, mosquito fish, 12 grass shrimp and 3 (I think) fathead minnows, seem to be thriving. 0 mortality
The first few days, my biggest sail fin male, had a growth that looked like fuzzy white mold on his eye, fortunately that has gone away.
Are frequent water changes still needed? Can I get away with 10 gallons every 2 weeks?
In a tank that small you should do at least once a week, twice a week would be better

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store