Clove oil used as a fish sedative?

pwmin

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
CO via PA
www.myspace.com
i would mix it right before youre ready to use it, but i can imagine it would be okay to store it for a little while

clove oil in small doses is safer than MS-222, although, as said, not FDA approved. its the FDA, though, and theyre all about money and clove oil just isnt profitable, esp when its pretty easy to refine. anyway, thats for another discussion, lol. we had some of the brookies under for maybe a few hours and they were fine. the times we used MS-222 for spawning brown trout, they were only in it for less than an hour. i'm not sure of the upper limits, though. would def depend on concentration.

ESOX

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2005
ARIZONA
Thanks for the info. Do you do something fish related for a living? DNR or volunteer?

pwmin

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
CO via PA
www.myspace.com
I've volunteered and temp'd for Fishery Biologists and Researchers for the Colorado Division of Wildlife and now am on permanently as a hatchery technician and bulk delivery for WD- rainbows

ESOX

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2005
ARIZONA
Very cool!! Must be nice being one of the few that get to earn money dealing in something they truly love. You should take some photos of the hatchery. People here would trip out! (If that's allowed) Good for you man, and good luck.

FishinMD

Feeder Fish
Jul 10, 2011
maryland
I had a pleco that needed a tumor removed.

I used 9 tbsp cheap rum to 1 tbsp clove oil, put it in a half-full 10 gallon tank, dropped the fish in, he clearly did not like it, tried to swim up the sides. After about 4 mins, he stopped moving. I took him out, cut the tumor off. Then I put him back in a clean tank, and after 5 mins or so, he started moving again. He is now in a third tank w/tetracycline in it. I'll give him at least a week in that tank before returning him back into general population.

FishinMD

Feeder Fish
Jul 10, 2011
maryland
Yeah, I used 100% clove oil, but the whole thing was a pretty severe shock to his system. He is bleaching out pretty bad in some areas. If it were anything but a pleco/catfish, it would have been a gonner. He's still alive after a week, let's see how it goes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store