Clown loach and Red tailed botia together?

contoursvt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2005
Toronto
Hi, so I've got a 120G at the moment but going to approx 300G via a plywood tank soon. I have 6 clown loach about 5" long and four red tailed botia between 4-6" long.

They don't seem to quarrel with each other although the red tailed botia quarrel amongst each other quite a bit. I also have a single firemouth and he keeps trying to attack the big 7" botia (the FM is about 5" long) and the botia takes no crap from him. I've read they can be pretty aggressive.

My question is about me when I got up to 300G. I know they will all get pretty big. If there are enough hiding spots, pipes, pots..etc, can I keep the #'s as they are?

Also about substrate, I've read that play sand or pool sand are actually quite sharp even though they don't feel that way to us. This is a silly question, but can I use even finer silt or mud out of a local pond if I boil it first? I think that will more closely emulate their natural environment no?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Tbh I can't answer the question of compatibility but I have juvenile Clown Loaches and the substrate in their aquarium is play sand. They sift through it like nobody's business lol. I suggest using Pool Filter sand. Gathering mud from a pond I can bet some one has done that and probably didn't boil it.

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
I use pfs in my Botia tank and they root around in it without hurting their whiskers.

Let's see those big Modesta! I have 2 big guys as well.

Mine are the least aggressive of my mix. The small Sun Loaches I have are the worst with Yoyo coming in 2nd.

Older vid, they've all grown a bit.

Reactions: DrownedFishonFire

contoursvt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2005
Toronto
Awsome guys for the replies! Maybe I should try pool filter sand then as well for my new tank build. Great looking fish monkeybike :) This is mine at the moment. Video was from some months ago.

You can get glimpses of them here and there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store