Clown Loach vs Pacu

Chuck & Veronica

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2005
Reston, Va.
www.besthomes-virginia.com
Fried_fish said:
They should be fine but with fish there is nothing 100% I would provide some hiding space for the loaches if you decide to mix them.
That's a good idea. But one word of warning: Pacu are very, very fast fish when they want to be. They can zip from one end of a six-foot tank to the other in what seems a split second.

The tough part about putting a Pacu and a Clown Loach together is that CLs grow very, very slowly and Pacu grow very, very fast. So there's going to be a signficant size diference for almost the entire lives of both fish.

Chuck

Bitesize2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2005
pittsburgh
pacus are strict vegatarians in the wild, they feed on berries and seeds . I believe if they grow up together the pacu wont even think about eating them

Chuck & Veronica

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2005
Reston, Va.
www.besthomes-virginia.com
Bitesize2 said:
pacus are strict vegatarians in the wild, they feed on berries and seeds . I believe if they grow up together the pacu wont even think about eating them
I'd be interested in hearing where you get your information about that, as it directly contradicts scientific literature on Pacu fish that can be found on the 'net -- for just one example, see the International Development Research Centre's publication, Migratory Fishes of South America, where it clearly identifies this fish as an omnivore. The link to the specific chapter is here: http://www.idrc.org.sg/en/ev-58882-201-1-DO_TOPIC.html.

Chuck

Clay

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2005
Chantilly, Va
I have 10 clown loaches in with a number of more aggressive species and I don't have any problems. I wouldn't worry about them too much. However, I would be very careful to quarantine the loaches first and possibly pre emptively treat them with salt and a higher temperature. They are ich magnets.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store