Clown Loaches acting funny

courtneem

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2007
South Dakota
www.structed.net
I have 5 clown loaches all about 2".

I was just watching my fishtank and noticed that 1 clown loach has his fins clamped and seems to be rubbing himself on the gravel or other things in the tank. I can not see anything on him, everyone else in the tank is fine. This CL is eating and active. He doesnt "appear sick" but I know the clamped fins and rubbing is a sign something is wrong.

any ideas?

55gl
ammonia - 0
nitrIte - 0
PH 7
NitrAte - 20
temp 80F

courtneem

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2007
South Dakota
www.structed.net
*sigh* after sitting and staring at the fish for awhile there is only 1 fish that caught my eye. 1 bleeding heart tetra appears to have a few specs on him that could prove the ick idea.

My tank already sits from 80-82F so I dont have to far to go heat wise.

I just bumped it 1 degree. I was about to do a PWC and vac. I do a gravel vac / 50% PWC once a week. Due to the pooping pleco lol

I will get the PWC and vac done now so I can start to raise the temp in the tank.

How much salt should I add? 55gl tank.

Also will all my fish tolerate the salt? white pims, pleco, various tetra, apple snail, spotted pictus and the clown loaches.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Add about a tblspoon of salt per 10 gals. Careful with any meds. CLs don't tolerate a large number of meds. If you feel you want something to boost the salt/heat combo, you can use methylene blue. It has antifungal properties and is safe enough to use on eggs. So, the CLs will tolerate it well.
Once all of the spots disappear, continue the heat/salt treatment for another 10 days to kill off any newly germinating spores in the substrate.
Good luck.

courtneem

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2007
South Dakota
www.structed.net
My fish are use to the PWC and good cleanings. They dont stress much on me. I got a good 50% pwc done and did a good gravel vac, rinsed out one side of the filter (changed the other side last week) so didnt want to mess with the filter to much this week due to the heavy (did a lot more then usual) gravel vac. Dont want to disrupt too much bacteria in the filter.

I added 5 tbsp of salt (two scoops had a lil extra to make up the 1/2tbs needed for the remaining 5gls) to a container of fish water and mixed it in really well and made sure it was all mixed in before I added it to the tank.

On water change the water is about 2 degrees off (higher) so that is good that I am up a few degrees.

I am going to check the temp before I head to work tonight I work all night.

When I get home in the morning Ill bump it up another degree. Once more before I head to work tomorrow night.

I am nervous. I have never had ick before or had to raise my temp or add salt!

CORVETTE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2007
CALGARY, ALBERTA, CANADA
Yes loaches hate meds due to the lack of scales i've used noxic but only at 1/4 dose with my clowns. I'm not sure how the snail acts wit salt but live plants will usually die.

courtneem

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2007
South Dakota
www.structed.net
I dont have real plants this is a unplanted tank. :) only good thing about this I guess!!

My white pims and pleco came out during the PWC and the usual frisky behavior after the PWC and I see no signs on them.

There is just that 1 bleeding heart tetra I see 3 specks on.

Hope I caught this early enough there wont be any issues!

killerfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
colorado
if it is ick stay away from meds as much as you can i've lost count less clowns to meds water temp is the key to getting rid of it hot water speeds up there reproductive cycle

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store